Author Topic: Duffy's of Tibohine  (Read 5250 times)

Offline Brian Duffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Duffy's of Tibohine
« on: Sunday 10 May 15 02:02 BST (UK) »
Looking for my 2X Great Grandfather Patrick Duffy b1941 in Tibohine. His parents Michael and Catherine Oates farmed in the area, I believe. Possible in Moyne or Cartron More. They seem to have vanished in the famine years. He ended up in England where he married my 2X Grandmother Anna Pearson in England before moving to the US.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Duffy's of Tibohine
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 June 15 14:28 BST (UK) »
presume you meant 1841 with ref to famine years

Michael DUFFY m Catherine OATS Feb 08 1838 in Tibohine-Fairymount

In the same church there are four baptisms to these parents
Dec 08 1838 Thomas
Mar 13 1841 Patrick
Jan 20 1844 John
Sep 02 1846 Mary

There are eight Michael DUFFY entries on the Griffiths Valuations of the mid 1800s in Tibohine - LINK
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 June 15 15:21 BST (UK) »

Hello Brian,
The Catholic Parish of Tibohine (Fairymount) is considerably smaller than the Civil Parish of Tibohine which was used as the parish boundaries with the Griffith Valuations of 1857. Of the townlands identifiable only Moyne and Cartron More are actually in the Tibohine (Fairymount) Catholic Parish, which you appear to deduced yourself, with the others in the Catholic Parish of Loughglynn/Lisacul.

The two entries for Cartron More would appear to relate to the same Michael as only one item is noted for rent of buildings (most likely home). This all assumes that your Michael was alive at the time of the Valuation and was recorded as the head of household .

The Tithes 1825 may give you a clearer view of the Duffy families in each of the two townlands
Moyne :- http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?surname=duffy&firstname=&county=Roscommon&parish=tibohine&townland=moyne&search=Search

Cartron More :- None identied.

Offline Brian Duffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 14:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much guys! Would love to find the actual farm or residence. I did find a few good candidates on Griffith's which appear as ruins on Google street view! One in Moyne and one in Cartron More. I discovered an distant cousin in Ballymote who researches the Duffy's in the area. I met him when we were there 2 years ago and he said he'd knock on a few doors for me. Nothing yet, I think he's very busy.

He did mention that most of the Duffys in this area come from Kilmove Mayo.

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 September 15 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hello there

I am trying to find individuals who were lost in a shipping disaster in 1853 http://www.anniejane.net/passengers/steerage-passengers-drowned/ Johanna Duffy,Ellen Duffy, Betsy Duffy,  Patrick Duffy were on board and there may of course be more as the passenger list was incomplete, if they were under a certain age they shared the berth with parents. Also rather oddly a Catherine Oats and infant were aboard. You can see why I noticed this post as you mentioned people vanishing during the famine years.
Thought it was worth a try.

Regards Allan