Author Topic: Alexander Ingram - Mathematician of Leith in the 1700s  (Read 2857 times)

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
Alexander Ingram - Mathematician of Leith in the 1700s
« on: Sunday 10 May 15 11:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks to the generosity of you Rootschatters, I have found my way back to Alexander, my 5xgreat-grandfather. His sons all ended up in Abergavenny, Monmouthshire and were clock and watchmakers.

My original thread on the Monmouthshire pages can be found here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=717252.0.

I would love to know more than searches on Google or Ancestry have revealed under the guidance of  my novice fingers.

Malcolm
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Ingram - Mathematician of Leith in the 1700s
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 May 15 19:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Malcolm

This looks to be an obituary for Alexander Ingram:

At Leith, on the 25th ult., in the 78thyear of his age, Mr Alexander Ingram, teacher of mathematics in the High School there. Mr Ingram possessed a vigorous mind, which he applied with much success to mathematical science, as his edition of Euclid and other works sufficiently prove. He was patient, laborious, and accurate in his researches, in no common degree. In his intercourse with mankind he manifested a kind and cheerful disposition. His various and profound knowledge was adorned with great and uniform modesty. His words were generally few, but always to the purpose, indicating a clear, comprehensive, and richly furnished understanding. From his youth he was a sincere believer in Christianity, and, in particular, warmly attached to the principles of the
Reformation in this country, to which he adhered to the last with unshaken firmness, recommending them to all around him by a suitable conduct. His illness was short (only four days), and his latter end was peace. By his friends and acquaintances he will be long and affectionately remembered as an able, a learned, and a truly good man.

The Dumfries Weekly Journal And Nithsdale, Annandale, and Galloway Advertiser 1829 issue.
http://rjw-data.info/DWJ/PDF_files/1829.pdf

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 May 15 22:23 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Monica, that's brilliant.

Malcolm
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 May 15 21:40 BST (UK) »
Glad you made it safely over the border, Malcolm.   ;) Here are a couple of snippets left over from Monmouthshire. 

On the 26th ult. at Abergavenny, aged 81, Mr John Ingram, watchmaker
The Cambrian, 5th February 1831

I think John Ingram, below, must be a descendant of John Ingram b. Scotland ca1791 (brother of your ancestor, Alexander.)

JOHN INGRAM
High Street, Cardiff
Never Try to Serve Two Customers at One Time.– The other evening, while Mr. John Ingram, of High Street, Cardiff, was selling a watch, another man came in and asked to have a worthless ring repaired. Taking the job of him, he left the watch on the counter. After the departure of the latter the watch was missing. Fortunately it turned out the man was not in his senses, and the watch was recovered; but it would have been just as easy for a thief to have done it.
Source: The Watchmaker, Jeweller and Silversmith - 1st June 1892

The attached advertisement is from the Cardiff & Merthyr Guardian, Glamorgan, Brecon, Monmouth and Brecon Gazette 14 September 1872

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 May 15 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Br1gau  :)

You have done a lot of research I have seen on this family overall. They certainly look to be an enterprising family all round.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 May 15 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

The National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth is a great resource, particularly since they digitised the early newspapers.  Pre 1858 Wills are also free to read, and nominally priced should you want to order a copy. 

Early clocks, watches and timekeeping generally is a fascinating subject.  I read in one of the Scottish papers; Scotsman? Edinburgh Advertiser? that clocks and watches were taxable per item per annum in the late 1700s, more for gold than silver and more for a clock than a watch!

Malcolm, I wondered if you have downloaded the Alexander (mathematician) Ingram's Will from scotland's people and if it gives any further information about family members via his legacies to them.  There are three documents available; his Will of 1829; his Testament & Inventory and marriage contract with Janet Thomson and her papers.  She died in 1833, they don't appear to have had children:

1779 Alexander Ingram married Janet Thomson 17 Dec at St Cuthbert’s, Edinburgh.  Her father was George Thomson (family search)

Amazingly, after more than 100 200 years, Alexander Ingram's books on mathematics are still in print and available from Amazon!  That really is a great testament to him.

brigau

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 16:53 BST (UK) »
Br1gau has kindly pointed out that Alexander wasn't one my great-grandfathers but was my 6xgreat-uncle.

His father James Ingram of Carnie had (at least) two sons: John and Alexander.

Sorry!
gedmatch.com A006809

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 May 15 11:48 BST (UK) »
Alexander's death inventory is six pages of flowing copperplate and now I've got a headache from trying to read it! He does to appear to have any children but does seemed to have loaned out quite a lot of money. His estate was valued at £1,717 7s. 2d and most of it was principal and interest on bonds and bills.

Malcolm
gedmatch.com A006809