Author Topic: James McCallister, Mary McGloughlin  (Read 2205 times)

Offline jordaneschaefer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James McCallister, Mary McGloughlin
« on: Sunday 10 May 15 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am researching my boyfriends ancestry and have been able to trace him back to James McCallister, born abt 1720 in Ireland. He married Mary McGloughlin, also born abt 1720 in Ireland, on 20 jan 1747 in Pennsylvania. They had 8 children together: john, james, thomas, richard, garrett, edward, hannah, mary. They were all born in either virginia or west virginia. (i have seen the records switch the states but keep the county name the same.) I do not know when James and Mary moved to America, where they may have lived in Ireland, or their parents names. I am more interested in tracing the McCallister line further back to get a direct ancestor line for my boyfriend. I live in America and the trail has run dry here with what information I can find. I am hoping someone may also be a descendant of the McCallister line somehow and has more information such as James' parents names and anything else that would be helpful in tracing my boyfriends direct line back further.

He has always been told that they are Scottish, so I am hoping to trace his family back to Scotland to either confirm or deny that for him.

Any information anyone may have on this line that they can provide me with would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks, Jordan.

Offline mccwife

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: James McCallister, Mary McGloughlin
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Did you ever get an answer to your question.  McGloughlin is my 4th great-grandmother and I can;t find any records on her.  I have about the same info as you.
Jeanie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Jeanie.

Both surnames are very likely to cause headaches with many variants in spelling!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 21:30 GMT (UK) »
One of the children was named Garrett which I think may be the maiden surname of the mother of either or a g/mother?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 21:43 GMT (UK) »
One of the children was named Garrett which I think may be the maiden surname of the mother of either or a g/mother?
Annie

Garrett isn't that uncommon a Christian name in Ireland so  don't depend on finding Garrett ancestors.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 10:28 GMT (UK) »
The original post was 10 May 2015 and that person has not been online since 11 May 2015.

I note there are three trees on family search, each with slightly differing information, none have got any further back from James & Mary.

No birth records for either name in Scotland 1710-1730. I have researched my wife's McAllistair ancestors in the past and as mentioned there are many spelling variations, what I did find was that it is quite a strong name in Argyll.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 18:19 GMT (UK) »
If James McCallister & wife Mary McGloughlin were of Ulster Scots descent it wouldn't be uncommon for them, or descendants, to say they were 'Scottish' but actual Scottish births might be a generation or more earlier.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!