Author Topic: Robert Band -son of Robert Band and Elizabeth Walker  (Read 3077 times)

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Band -son of Robert Band and Elizabeth Walker
« on: Sunday 10 May 15 21:46 BST (UK) »
I expect this topic has been raised before, if so I'm sorry that I couldn't find it!!!

I'm looking for the birth and parents of the Robert Band who married Isabel Coutt in November 1769. One tree has this Robert born in August 1758 to James Band and Elizabeth Smart, but this would make him only 11 at the time of his marriage!!!! There is a record of this birth/baptism.

Another tree has him born or baptised on the same day and month but in 1738,  to Robert Band and Isabel Walker. This is more likely but I can't find this birth in any parish records!!!!!!

Eric
Beeston, Whithead & Towle
Allesley, Bloxham from c. 1815
Foleshill, Gee (Jee) Adams Millerchip
Burton Dassett, Bloxham to c. 1815

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Band -son of Robert Band and Elizabeth Walker
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 May 15 22:44 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism of Robert Band 1/9/1751 in Crail, Fife to Thomas Band and Margaret Walker.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 May 15 14:21 BST (UK) »
As Band isn't the commonest surname in the Crail area, I should imagine that those who have just been mentioned were related to the David Band born in Crail in 1789, the 8th and last child of James Band and Isabel Wilkie. David Band's adventurous life was described by a descendant in Australia in the Fife Family History Society journals of September and December 1997. His story has been repeated in the latest edition of the journal, for Spring 2015.

David Band went to sea and was taken prisoner by the French. While in French captivity he wrote a poem of 19 pages which is in the possession of his descendant in Australia who wrote the articles. She kindly sent me a copy some years ago when we were corresponding.

After his release from French captivity, David followed the example of many other East Neuk natives by going to the Arctic whaling, and in 1837 he was one of 33 crew members of the Advice of Dundee who perished after the ship had been beset by the ice and the crew succumbed to the cold, lack of exercise and scurvy.

I was born in Crail in 1946 but brought up 4 miles to the east in Cellardyke, and one of our neighbours there was a Mr. Band who owned a garage and ran the local taxi service (of one taxi!).

Harry

Offline Alison Terao

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 09:12 BST (UK) »
I'm surprised that Band is an unusual surname in the area as I'm also looking for Bands, and in particular Robert Band.

I'm tracing back from a Robert Band born 1800 in Dairsie who married Isabella Cunningham and emmigrated to Australia in the 1850s.

This Robert Band is the son of Robert Band and Elizabeth Peddie.

Robert Band married Elizabeth Peddie in Monmail in 1799.

This Robert Band may be the one born in 1758 in Kilrenny to James Band and Elizabeth Band. That makes him 41 at his marriage, which though old isn't impossible, especially if it's a second marriage.

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Alison
My messages on Robert Band were part of some research I was/am doing with a group in Australia (mainly Victoria) to do with my son in law's family. Their Robert Band married Ann Lewis and emigrated to Australia aboard the Marco Polo in 1852. This Robert Band was born 1823 in Kemback. I (think I)have traced his family back to a John Band who married Janet Wain (Wane) in 1638. Marriage registered in St Andrews Fife. There are several Roberts in the line. There is a Robert born 1778 in Kemback son of Robert Band and Isabel Coutt, he was brother of John Band who married Margaret Barclay from whence my son in law is descended.!!!!

Have you been on "Scotlands People" where I got most of my info from.

Eric

Beeston, Whithead & Towle
Allesley, Bloxham from c. 1815
Foleshill, Gee (Jee) Adams Millerchip
Burton Dassett, Bloxham to c. 1815