Author Topic: Help with US newpaper item re: William Wynn please  (Read 4249 times)

Offline tris51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with US newpaper item re: William Wynn please
« on: Sunday 10 May 15 22:27 BST (UK) »
I found this item in a newspaper gossip column from Wisconsin, USA, 20 Dec 1911:

"Mrs. Edith Hoover has recently fallen heir to a legacy left her by her uncle, Sir William Wynn, of Scotland."

Edith is my greatgrandmother. Her maiden name was Edith Esther McCormick, b. 1861 to John McCormick and Jane Lewis and raised in New York State. I have her identified her maternal grandparents (Robert and Mary Lewis) immigrating from Carnarvon, Wales, in 1842. I know almost nothing about her father other than a family legend that he was "from Scotland"  Although it seems improbable that this family would have close relatives in a position to leave a legacy and I expect the newspaper item to be wildly inaccurate, nonetheless I am hoping that the above item will help me find more about Edith's ancestors.

In the US records I know how to search, what sites to use and what search terms to employ. I have some credits at ScotlandsPeople, but my first few searches were lame and lead nowhere. I would appreciate some tips on how to proceed with searches in Scotland and perhaps Wales.

Thank you.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with US newpaper item re: William Wynn please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 May 15 22:49 BST (UK) »
Just to get you started Sir William Wynn's name appears along with the words Borough of Carnavon and then the abbreviation Knt (Knight?) in the London Gazette ((so there is a bit of a vague link there to your Carnavon family))

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/9370/page/2/data.

It could be possible she was one of many neices left some money by Sir William Wynn.

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline landej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Searching for ancestors since 1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 May 15 23:07 BST (UK) »
The British Newspaper archive has the best online collection

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

Virtually all the papers on here are also on findmypast, but you'd need a UK subscription. BNA is a pay site but I think you can subscribe for 1 month. I have subscribed to both in the past but not currently. A quick search on BNA site gives results for Sir Watkins Williams Wynn who does come from Scotland is that the same person?
Landers (Laois, Dublin, Mayo, Chicago, NZ......), McDowell (NI), Bass (Dublin), Boxall (Sussex), Marchant (London)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 May 15 23:13 BST (UK) »
The marriage of Sir Watkins Williams Wynn's daughter the son of Col. William Wynn

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3290522/ART16/Sir%20William%20Wynn

A Miss Hampdon Lewis is mentioned as a bridesmaid (so a Wynn relative?), no first names Lewis menfolk mentioned

((Plenty about Sir Watkins Wynn in the free Welsh Newspaper resource bur he died July 1789, so I don't think it would be him leaving the money to Edith which also makes this newspaper article a bit early))
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 14:43 BST (UK) »
Do you have any US census records with this family?  Or vital records for John, Edith, or any of her siblings?

Offline Priscilla

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Eccles (Hoylake / Exeter / Plymouth)
Hicks (Devonport, Plymouth)
Grafton (Exeter, Devon)
Harris (Marazion, Cornwall)
Collard (Yeovil, Somerset)
Johns (Devonport, Plymouth)
Lyle (Bude, Cornwall)

Offline tris51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Priscilla, thank you for looking. That is indeed my great grandmother, and the posting is from my sister!
Tris

Offline tris51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Shelly
Yes, we have quite a few records, but all from the US. What would be helpful?
You know, my huge problem is that I don't know how to search for someone with a title.
Does the "sir" get included? Where would you put it? And, as there could be William-Wynn, Williams-Wynn as well as William Wynn, do I need to search under all of these variants? When I search under Wynn is that enough?
Thanks,
Tris

Offline tris51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 16:54 BST (UK) »
The marriage of Sir Watkins Williams Wynn's daughter the son of Col. William Wynn

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3290522/ART16/Sir%20William%20Wynn

A Miss Hampdon Lewis is mentioned as a bridesmaid (so a Wynn relative?), no first names Lewis menfolk mentioned

((Plenty about Sir Watkins Wynn in the free Welsh Newspaper resource bur he died July 1789, so I don't think it would be him leaving the money to Edith which also makes this newspaper article a bit early))

Hi Whiteout,
Thank you! That does sound interesting. Unfortunately the link doesn't work for me. Do you know if I need to be a subscriber? Is there a date on the wedding?
Thanks--Tris