Author Topic: Dundas Surname  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Avongirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Dundas Surname
« on: Monday 11 May 15 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Midlothian list.

I am stuck on my Dundas family this is what I know.

David Dundas a Burgess/Merchant married an Elizabeth Wood 23.4.1704 Edinburgh parish.
Elizabeth Wood was the daughter of John Wood of Blacklaws? He was deceased by 1704.
David and Elizabeth had my Mary Dundas christened unknown but I'd say 1705 to 1710.
Mary Dundas married Alexander Blackie/Blarckie etc on 11.5.1729 Edinburgh parish and 13.6.1729 Saint Cuthburts parish.
They had a daughter Margaret Blaickie and similar spellings of the surname around 1732.
Around this time I came across a marriage of Mary Dundas also known as Blaickie marrying a James Williamson 27.12.1732 at Saint Cuthburts I am unsure if this is the same Mary of Alexander?
I will find the marriage and see if they are one and the same.
Alexander Blaickie on the marriage was a journeyman on his and Mary's certificate.
Alexander and Mary had a daughter Margaret Blarkie as she was known in 1732 I think this is where the confusion comes in.
Margaret married a Rodrick Douglas I am trying to remember the year 1763 I think?
They had a daughter also Margaret Douglas chris 1764 the problem is Margaret Douglas nee Blarkie etc is also known as Marion!
The marriage certificate shows Margaret Blarkie on the marriage certificate to Rodrick.
Marion Blaikie Chris 1747 to Alexander Blaikie and Mary Carfrae.
I asume Marion maybe to young to marry Rodrick Douglas and since Margaret is written on the certificate rather than Marion.
Is Marion a nickname for Margaret in Scotland?

AvonGirl

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dundas Surname
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 May 15 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Avongirl,
     Marion, Marrion, Marian, Marriann, Marrianne, Mirn, etc. are all short/pet forms of Mary Ann. (Mirren, a lovely old version, is now coming back into fashion as a girl's name in Scotland).  Not sure about Margaret/Marion.
               Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Avongirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dundas Surname
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 May 15 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi ecksdochter

Thank you I wonder if they made an error writing Marion down instead of Margaret?
Margaret Douglas has two baptisms one her mother Margaret the other Marion?
I'll say as Margaret is down on the marriage certificate and Birth Certificate Marion maybe a written error.
Sometimes very confusing these Scots!

AvonGirl