Author Topic: Philip Power  (Read 5715 times)

Offline Jane MB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Philip Power
« on: Monday 11 May 15 12:52 BST (UK) »
hello
I would like to know more about PHILIP POWER's early life and parents. (b 1818 Kilrush? Clare?) and when did he leave Ireland?
I have him on 1851  to 1881 census, (living I of Sheppey, Kent). buried 21/4/1881 at Isle of Sheppey, Kent.
I know he was living at no26 Martello Tower, Dymchurch Kent in 1844 as he was a coastguard.
He was married to Jane Miller at New Romney Kent. But nothing else earlier.

His father was also called PHILIP POWER (sailor) and I would like to know anything!! about him or his ancesters.

He called his son Henry Philip Byatt (Pyatt) Power - why?

thanks Jane
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Philip Power
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 May 15 20:38 BST (UK) »
Jane

Forgive me if you've already followed these leads, but just in case can I suggest you look at the ADM 175 series of Coastguard records available as free downloads from the National Archives. From these it is possible to piece together a mans entire CG career. As a start I would look at ADM 175/7 pdf 148 and from here work forward from around 1841 to his retirement in 1864, then go back and trace his earlier career. If you run into any problems PM me.

I would also look at the Merchant Seamen's Tickets available on FindMyPast. Philip was issued with one in 1845 - No. 267,542. This has his actual date of birth and a physical description, but no family info I'm afraid.

On the question of the Byett/Byatt name, there was a Henry Byett, born in Portland, also working as a CG, stationed at Tower 24 from 1841 - 1847, the next CG Station relative to Tower 27, so I would not mind betting there is some connection.

Martin

PS. I have now traced his career back, all be it only one entry in ADM 175/6 pdf 400, this shows that he was nominated to the CG Service from the Revenue Cruiser Dolphin. Unfortunately your only option now is to visit the National Archives at Kew and look at Dolphin's muster books (ADM 119/30 covering the period 1824-1841) to try and follow his career back further.

On the 1841 census (107/285/13) there is a Henry Byatt, Mariner, with his wife Elizabeth together with two daughters Jane and Elizabeth Miller, so I suspect Jane was his step-daughter.

Offline Jane MB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 May 15 12:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you Martin

For giving me clues as to where to look. Its fascinating - so precise record keeping!

I'll PM you with story so far

Jane

Offline Jane MB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 May 15 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi All
With Martin's fabulous help  :) I have traced from 1841 onwards his coastguard record in England and solved the Byatt riddle.

I would like to find any other info before this date.
Philip POWER DOB 29th January 1817. Kilrush Clare - baptism? parents (Philip)?other family?
1830 went to sea as a boy where? when?
left Ireland when? why?

any help or clues to his Irish roots would be gratefully received.
Jane

Offline Jane MB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 June 15 17:33 BST (UK) »
Help to find
Philip POWER DOB 29th January 1817. Kilrush Clare
on the 1841 Census.

He was stationed at Charmouth Lyme in Oct 1841 having come from Dolphin revenue cruiser.

Where shall I look?

thanks Jane

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 June 15 18:16 BST (UK) »
What religious denomination is he?
Have you looked here?
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/genealog.htm

Offline Jane MB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 June 15 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hello
I have looked on this site a few days ago and again tonight - trying to find any info in the given dates by opening each in turn and searching - but I'm still at a loss to find anything.

I have his father's name of Philip from his marriage certif - also with sea links.
He married at New Romney Kent- so i'm assuming C of E - but maybe this is wrong assumption.

Could it be that although he was born in Kilrush? Clare ( from a census entry) he did not live there - if his father was also coastguard he could have moved around too?
I don't really know. What do you think?
any ideas?
 Jane

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 June 15 21:42 BST (UK) »
I don't know enough about the coastguard service to know if they were moved around, I guess it's possible.
1817 is early for Irish records they may not survive.
I can't see COI records for the period you need.
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/parishes.htm
It doesn't look good for RC records either.

The only thing I can think of for the moment is to keep working through that Clare site but you may have to accept the records just didn't survive.
I haven't looked through this http://ireland.anglican.org/cmsfiles/pdf/AboutUs/library/registers/ParishRegistersTable.pdf