Author Topic: Llanfyllin Cemetery Records  (Read 7635 times)

Offline littlefacey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Llanfyllin Cemetery Records
« on: Monday 11 May 15 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hello :)

Im trying to locate the final resting place of my great grandparents and i believe they are in this church yard... is there anyway of finding this out online? or is anyone near by that they could check?? Would be ridiculously grateful.
Names of the deceased is John Morris Morralley 1903 - 1970 & Amy Jane Morralley (nee Phillips) 1903 -  1974.

Thanks in advance. x
Morralley, Morrallee, Moralee, Felton, Paxton, Schonbeck

Offline frances-b

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Llanfyllin Cemetery Records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 July 15 20:34 BST (UK) »
I was in Llanfyllin yesterday so went to have a look in the churchyard.  There are two, an old one surrounding St Myllin’s Church in the centre of the town and a newer one about a mile away.  The Church churchyard has been closed for burials for a long time (way before the 1970s) and at some point the gravestones have all been moved to the edge of the churchyard.  The newer one (known locally as “the Council cemetery”) has graves dating from the turn of the 20th century up to date.  It also has a couple of war graves, tended by the War Graves Commission.

I had a good look round but couldn’t find a headstone for Morralley.  There were quite a few headstones that were barely legible – including what looked like some fairly modern ones – and some graves without a headstone. 

Just because I couldn’t find your great grandparents doesn’t mean they are not there.  Powys County Council own and manage the cemetery and should have records of burials http://www.powys.gov.uk/en/registrars/register-a-death/burial-and-cremation/.  Or you could join the Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society http://www.montgomeryshiregs.org.uk/index.php/about-us who may be able to help.

If you do find them I’d be happy to go and photograph the grave for you.
Buckingham Punter Webster Topliss Radbone Waite Green Hooper
Mander Brown Cottier Hall Filcock Osborne
Bamforth Wood Smith Sykes
Hirst White Fenwick Watson Wright Marsh Wood

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 July 15 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)
I can see a parish burial record online for a burial in the parish of Criggion, Montgomery for Amy Jane Morralley; abode - Nythfa, Llansantffraid; buried - 1st October 1974; aged 71 years; ceremony performed by G.J. Mostyn, vicar of Llansantffraid.
I've gone back a couple of pages (to cover 1970) but cant see a record in the same parish for John Morris Morralley
There is also an Ernest Richard Morralley buried in Llansantffraid on September 13th 1940 aged 33. It says his abode was Cardiff.

Mar
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 19:48 BST (UK) »
No Morralley listed in Montgomeryshire Records Llanfyllin Municipal Cemetry Inscriptions, earlyist burial recorded 1877.

There is also an Ernest Richard Morralley buried in Llansantffraid on September 13th 1940 aged 33. It says his abode was Cardiff.
In Llansantffraidd-ym-Mechain Memorial Inscriptions booklet (MR/MI/69):
"Portland stone headstone (with badge of Royal Army Ordance Corps)
4029693 Private / E. R. MORRALLEY[See footnote] / Royal Army Ordance Corps / 7th September 1940 age 32 {BR: bur Sept 13 1940}
[Also listed as appearing on Llansanffraid War Memorial from 'Bristol']

Footnote:Ernest Richard, son of John Morris & Ellen Louisa Morralley of Marchwiel, Denbighshire"

Also mention of a Phoebe Morralee marrying a Thomas Owen GRIFFITHS in Llanwddyn in 1868
Jon
Hughes - Llangedwyn, Llanfechain, Llanrhaiadr, Llansilin
Roberts - Llandisilio, Montgomeryshire
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Mitchell - Windygates, Fife
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell

Offline bsundeen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 00:30 GMT (UK) »
I too am trying to identify family members that might be buried in this cemetery. My great-great grandparents, Robert and Leah Edwards, lived near there and died in 1921 and 1932 respectively. I also know that the family of Thomas and Margaret Ellis are buried there, but would like to know which ones exactly. I have been told their stone is now unreadable. Most of them died in the 1920's. The names of the children are Robert William Edwards, Thomas John Ellis, Humphrey Ellis, Mary Leah Ellis, Maria Ellis.

Offline JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 19:23 GMT (UK) »
bsundeen:
From Montgomeryshire Records Llanfyllin Municipal Cemetry Inscriptions:
My great-great grandparents, Robert and Leah Edwards, lived near there and died in 1921 and 1932 respectively.
Entry 299. Slate headstone with kerb ...
Evan Edwards, Penddalfa Fach, Bwlchyddar, ... 1955, 69;
Elizabeth Mary 1956, 63;
LCR [Llanfyllin Cemertery Records, Welshpool] adds: Leah Edwards, Widow, bur Apr 8 1932 age 85.
I also know that the family of Thomas and Margaret Ellis are buried there, but would like to know which ones exactly. I have been told their stone is now unreadable. Most of them died in the 1920's. The names of the children are Robert William Edwards, Thomas John Ellis, Humphrey Ellis, Mary Leah Ellis, Maria Ellis.
Entry 345. Large Sandstone kerb:
Humphrey Ellis, 1921, 15
Annie Jane Ellis, 1927, 13
Robert William Ellis, 1928, 26
Thomas John Ellis, 1936, 29
Edward Rees Ellis, 1927, 18
Mary Leah Ellis, 1928, 17

Jon
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell

Offline bsundeen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jon! Now I'm left to wonder where Robert might have ended up. Also, Margaret Ellis and her daughter Maria are supposedly buried there alongside one another. Do they not show up in the records? Thanks you again for all your help. Someday I hope to be able to visit in person.

Offline JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Sorry missed these out before.
Margaret Ellis and her daughter Maria are supposedly buried there alongside one another. Do they not show up in the records?

Entry 321 Sanstone kerb:
Margaret Ellis, Dec 25 1944, 69
{LCR adds: Maria Ellis d. Jun 11 1969, aged 61}
I'm left to wonder where Robert might have ended up
No entry under that name.
Jon
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell