Author Topic: Dorset absentee voters 1918  (Read 1418 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Dorset absentee voters 1918
« on: Monday 11 May 15 20:38 BST (UK) »
Looking for Tom Wood on this list- he was a gunner 36095 with the Royal Garrison Artillery and later 272420 with the Royal Field Artillery- he survived the war and family came from Spetisbury but I am trying to trace him in 1918- any ideas?
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline Etiennette

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dorset absentee voters 1918
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 August 15 12:30 BST (UK) »
I happened to have the Dorset Absent Voters list on hand, so I had a quick look for Tom Wood. The only even remotely likely fellow I found was a Thomas Wood of Franklin Road, Weymouth, 107787 Dvr., R.F.A.
I also looked using the two soldier numbers but didn't find anything.
Is it possible that he had been discharged by 1918? I think this is what happened to one of my ancestors who I can't find on the Absent Voters List.

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 August 15 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi - thank you so much for looking! When he married in 1919 i have hi marriage certificate which shows his regimental ranking and army number and he married in Dorset. He was born and brought up on his fathers farm in Spetisbury- any other ideas where i could possibly look? Am trying to build up his story line so any info whatsoever after 1911 would be brilliant!
Many thanks
Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 August 15 18:07 BST (UK) »
Thomas George Wood married on 19th Feb 1919 at the primitive Methodist Chapel in Blandford in Dorset and he put the following as his occupation: Lance Bombadier Royal Field artillery 242420 aged 29.

Any ideas where I can find out any more about him from 1911 to 1919. He gave his fiancee's home address in Blandford as his at the time of the marriage. In 1911 he was still living at home in Spetisbury.

Any help gratefully received!
Caroline

Offline Etiennette

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 August 15 19:11 BST (UK) »
What about the various Military records on Findmypast? I've had some luck there with some of my military ancestors, with things like the Medal Index Cards, service records etc. Hope you find what you're after!