Author Topic: Tracing members of my Great Uncles Battalion Welsh Guards  (Read 2259 times)

Offline bluearwen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing members of my Great Uncles Battalion Welsh Guards
« on: Monday 11 May 15 21:02 BST (UK) »
I have uncovered a photograph of my Great Uncle during WW2 with the other members of his battalion. His name was Fred Trainer, and he fought with the Welsh Guards during WW2. His number was 2738154, he was a Private and part of the 2nd Armoured Reconnaissance Battalion. He was killed on April 4th 1945. I am not sure when or where this photograph was taken, but I would love any suggestions for finding out who the other men in his battalion were, and if any of them are still alive.
Fred is middle row, 3rd from the left.
Thank you in advance for your time and help

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing members of my Great Uncles Battalion Welsh Guards
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 May 15 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, Just in case you may be interested I have a copy of the 2 Welsh Guards 1944 war diary

Cheers
Andy
Moderator comment. Post edited. Please remember that Rootschat is a free genealogy forum and it is not appropriate to solicit payment for research

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 22:37 BST (UK) »
Might be worth contacting the Guards Museum. Although they are unlikely to hold information on individuals, they might be able to help with the photo (and might appreciate a copy).
http://www.theguardsmuseum.com/
The website suggests how to contact the RHQ of the Welsh Guards.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Krsvxr

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Bluearwen

Did yiu get anywhere with your research?

I've just found out that my great grandfather was also 2nd battalion armed recce welsh guards too. Would you mind sharing research?