Author Topic: John Woodsford and Harriet Payne  (Read 2100 times)

Offline benhc123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Woodsford and Harriet Payne
« on: Tuesday 12 May 15 07:06 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody could help me find the parents of John Woodsford and Harriett Payne who were married in 1826 in Dorset.

John was born 1813 in Weymouth and Harriet was born 1807.

Any extra information from before 1826 would be much appreciated!

Thank you.

Offline SueTeakle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Woodsford and Harriet Payne
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 08:13 BST (UK) »
This is the only Harriet I could find:-

Harriet Pain
Born 1806
Baptised 16 March 1806 at Wimborne St Giles
Dau of John & Phoebe

There are three possibilities for John but this is the best match for year of birth:

John Bailey Woodford
Born 1813
Baptised 13 October 1813 at Wimborne
Son of Benjamin & Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'd just like to point out that if John Woodsford was born 1813 he wouldn't  be old enough to be married in 1826.
The marriage was actually 6.4.1828 at Melcombe Regis.
Witnesses Thomas Payne,Mary Ann Woodsford and John Ford.
That said the 1851 and 1861 census does give a birth 1813 and 1812 Melcombe Regis and Harriet 1807 and 1806 Cerne.

Ciderdrinker

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 May 15 08:03 BST (UK) »
Looking at the place names mentioned, I would be surprised if a person born in Melcombe Regis and one born in Cerne (Cerne Abbas?) would both be baptised in Wimborne (other side of the county). Each journey would take some considerable time - 45 to 50 minutes by car nowadays. 
Have you tried looking for the two witnesses with same surnames as bride and groom, likely to be related? Father / brother and mother / sister perhaps?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 May 15 08:46 BST (UK) »
Looking at some other records for Melcombe Regis around the time of the marriage.

An Ann Woodsford was witness to marriage of Stephen Andson (Bachelor) & Mary Jones (Spinster) on 26 Jun 1821 by Banns. Other witness John Hart.
A Mary Ann Woodsford is also witness at the marriage of Robert Hill (Bachelor) & Sarah Woodsford (Spinster) on 24 Oct 1824 by Banns. The other witness was Christopher Goodwin.
An Ann Woodsford was witness at marriage of John Gregory (Widower of Bradford Peverel ) & Maria Wills on 6 Nov 1825 by licence. The other witness was Andrew Jeap.
Robert Dunning (Batchelor) & Mary Ann Woodsford (Spinster) married on 30 Mar 1829 by Banns. Witnesses were John Standard & Sarah Hill  (I guess this is the Sarah Woodsford who married John Hill 5 years earlier).
A James Woodford (no "s") was witness to marriage of William Gardener (Bachelor of Beaminster) & Sarah Ann Miller (Widow) on 5 Jul 1830 by Licence. The other witness was Elizabeth Gardener.
(from Dorset OPS transcriptions)
I suspect Sarah and Mary Ann are sisters (reciprocal witnesses) and may well also be sister to John. I can't see where Ann and James fit in.
I can't find any baptisms for Woodsfords in Melcombe Regis between 1791 and 1810 which is the date range when I would expect them. Maybe John was mistaken about where he was born. The family could have moved to MR when he was very young and he thought he was born there.   

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 May 15 09:08 BST (UK) »
Another snippet which may or not be useful. A Robert Dunning was buried on 18 Apr 1836 at Melcombe Regis. Age at death 34 making year of birth around 1802, so a possibility he was the husband of Mary Ann Woodsford. And a burial for a Mary Ann Dunning in MR on 2 Aug 1831, age 28 so birth ear abt 1803. So unfortunately no chance of finding her on the 1851 census and confirming birth place.
Hill being a more common name, it's a bit more difficult to trace the other (possible) sister. There is a burial for a Robert Hill (born about 1798) abode WR on 30 Nov 1826 in Wyke Regis (Location quite close and age a possibility). This would be two years after marriage. Can't find an obvious death for Sarah pre 1841, so perhaps she can be found on the censuses. Maybe she married again.
Wyke Regis baptisms has Eliza daughter of Robert & Sarah Hill on 2 Oct 1825. His occupation is sailor.
Added
I have found Sarah and Eliza on 1841 census in MR. Sarah is a monthly nurse and Eliza is a dressmaker. It looks like they are with the household of Christopher Goodwin and family. There is a 2 month old baby Goodwin, so perhaps Sarah is just there to look after baby. Sarah's age is given as 39 (born abt 1802). Might be reasonably accurate - looks like this enumerator didn't bother about rounding.
Can't find either Sarah or Eliza in 1851

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 May 15 09:26 BST (UK) »
Eliza Hill married William Thomas Lanning (Ironmonger) in 1846. I have tracked her through censuses up to 1901, but no sign of her mother living with her.

Offline benhc123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 May 15 16:57 BST (UK) »
Eliza Hill married William Thomas Lanning (Ironmonger) in 1846. I have tracked her through censuses up to 1901, but no sign of her mother living with her.

Thanks for all the help.