Author Topic: Thomas Moore b. unknown d unknown  (Read 1681 times)

Offline welshjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Thomas Moore b. unknown d unknown
« on: Tuesday 12 May 15 13:01 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if I am posting this in the correct county but think the answer may lie somewhere in the Salford area.

I have an individual that I am trying to find out about (trying to link two families together).
Kate Pyatt was born in Cheadle, Staffordshire in 1887, the daughter of John and Kate Pyatt.
There is a marriage in Cheadle in 1912 to John McCann.
This marriage occured on 13 Apr 1912 in St Giles, Cheadle and gives her fathers name as Joannis Pyatt (John Pyatt) and spouse as Joannes McCann (John McCann).

However the 1911 census has John and Kate Pyatt living in 94 High Street, Cheadle with their daughter Kate Moore. Kate Moore being married for 2 years with no children.

A search of Freebmd and Lancashirebmd has identified a marriage in Salford in 1908 between Kate Pyatt and Thomas Moore.

So if Kate marries John McCann in 1912, Thomas must have "died" between 1908 and 1912.
I cannot locate a death of a Thomas Moore in that time period that would be an appropriate age to be Kate's husband.

Does anyone have any suggestions or access to any records that may assist?
Jones, Davies, Evans, Williams, Daniel, Thomas - Glamorgan
Keen, Goodwin, Pyatt, Leese, Bailey, Loffill, Stubley, Brassington, Blurton,  - Staffs

Offline CereUK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Moore b. unknown d unknown
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 13:12 BST (UK) »
Thomas must be alive in 1911 or she would be shown as Widow and she is not.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Lancashire: Wareing Swarbrick Westby Leadbetter Wright Rimmer Hosker Johnson Ball Bridge Brade Gamble Gaskell Cropper Aughton Gilbert Grundy Twist Bond Tyrer Baxtendon Brookfield Unsearth Urmstin Varey Waddington Ward Watkinson Sutton Sutch Watson Webster<br />Cumbria: Watt Park Garnett Ackerley Gilpin Todd Wappett Tuer Mounsey Fallowfield Thompson Oldcorn Tengate Storey<br />Staffordshire/Worcestershire:Oliver Booton F

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 14:33 BST (UK) »
If Kate married John McCann in 1912 her surname would be Moore as she had married Thomas Moore in 1908.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline welshjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 14:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks both

I was expecting a marriage under the name Moore but the marriage located is definately under Pyatt.
I cant see any other Kate Pyatts in 1911 census with a father John that could account for the marriage so had assumed that she re-married under her maiden name (I have seen this before with other family members). I assumed it was a their local Church and the marriage was recorded under the same surname as her father.

There is also a tree on Ancestry that has the family and gives the McCann marriage and offspring (that maybe living so I will not include names) but no mention of the Moore marriage. Hence my confusion.

It does say married in 1911 census so would narrow any death of Thomas to 1911 - 1912
I did wonder about divorce but thought that she could not then re-marry in a catholic church (I assumed Catholic due to Latin spellings of John - not local to area so do not know).

And not being local to Lancashire I am struggling to determine which deaths in which areas would be local to the marriage in Salford. He could of course had died anywhere. Maybe someone compiling the Moore family tree may read this someday and know the answer.

Given the dates above, the only Thomas Moore death that could be likely is in Sep qtr 1911 in Salford for an individual aged 56. This would make him over 30 years older than her and a similar age to her father. Any thoughts?
Keen, Goodwin, Pyatt, Leese, Bailey, Loffill, Stubley, Brassington, Blurton,  - Staffs

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 15:18 BST (UK) »

Copies of the 2 possible marriage certificates should help;  the first one should show the age and occupation of Thomas, which might help to track him, and the second one should show if Kate is a widow.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 16:56 BST (UK) »
I agree with nanny jan
Lots of "assumptions" - need some certs to establish some facts to work on.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 17:03 BST (UK) »

If Thomas Moore died at sea, abroad, in Scotland etc., then his death will not be found in Englsih records. His occupation might be important.

Nanny Jan

Offline welshjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 17:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help. Will add certs to next order I do.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 17:14 BST (UK) »

Let us know what the certificates yield; could be interesting.  :)

Nanny Jan