Author Topic: Gable House in Tonbridge  (Read 2418 times)

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Jenkins (1882-1956)
    • View Profile
Gable House in Tonbridge
« on: Tuesday 12 May 15 14:20 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anybody might have any information or pictures of this house? It is mentioned a few times as an address in the 1900s-1920s period, but I have been able to find no information about the actual property.

I would be most grateful for any information or help.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gable House in Tonbridge
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi I can see mention of a Gable House, Yardley Park Road, Tonbridge Urban, with a William Wilding Jones b New South Wales, Victoria occ Solicitor?

EDIT Others in same location :-

Yardley Lodge
Glenburn
Yardley Dene
Rodbourne
Highbury
The Mount
The Old Cottage
Rossendale
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 21:08 BST (UK) »
Could it possibly be this House. It seems to have more Gables than the rest of the road's houses,
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.20323,0.28457,3a,65.3y,322.16h,92.06t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sBlxSuOrxC0C3NrOD8hUCJw!2e0
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 21:09 BST (UK) »
Yardley Park Road map in 1907

http://maps.nls.uk/view/101429745

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 May 15 19:55 BST (UK) »
Many kind thanks for the replies. To confirm it is Wilding Jones and his family that I am interested in  :)

Offline Stashh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 March 17 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Noytd
Just signed up....am too looking at W-J line. Not sure if William (solicitor, Tonbridge b. Melbourne) is relevant but hit a block - trying to see if he ties in to a W-J family from Cheshire / Liverpool in mid-late 1800s. Do ou have any background info? e.g. parents, siblings? and how / why he was born in Australia?
Thanks

Offline noytd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 March 17 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Noytd
Just signed up....am too looking at W-J line. Not sure if William (solicitor, Tonbridge b. Melbourne) is relevant but hit a block - trying to see if he ties in to a W-J family from Cheshire / Liverpool in mid-late 1800s. Do ou have any background info? e.g. parents, siblings? and how / why he was born in Australia?
Thanks

I can confirm that William Wilding Jones was indeed linked to the Wilding-Jones family that you refer to, but not in a direct way! It can come across as being somewhat complex, so please bear with me and hopefully this will make some sort of sense.

The family "fortune" originated with a successful Liverpool merchant named Richard Wilding (1743-1820). He was married to a woman named Diana Williams, the couple had no children so his fortune ended up being divided between his blood niece Margaret Norris (1789-1856) on the one side, and his wife's family on the other.

Diana was a niece of woman named Maria Longueville (1722-1749). Maria was married to a man named Thomas Jones. This Wilding-Jones family of Cheshire are descended from this particular union. As far as I am aware the Margaret Norris branch had nothing to do with the Longueville (later Wilding-Jones) branch.

William Wilding Jones (1855-1940) was the son of the niece of the husband of Margaret Norris (she had no children). Obviously the name of Wilding (pronounced in my family as Will-ding) came from Richard Wilding. The children of W. Wilding Jones adopted the surname of Wilding-Jones, but this family are now extinct.

I hope this makes sense and helps.

Offline JLWJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 May 17 14:47 BST (UK) »
Very interesting - I am a member of the Cheshire branch of Willding-Jones.

Offline Stashh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 May 17 17:30 BST (UK) »
noytd - many thanks and very helpful - my wife's lineage is the Maria Longueville / Thomas Jones and Wilding-Jones family so the William WJ connection is a bit too distant but useful to know how these things fit together - at this stage of researching the family, I relied a lot on pages 56 et seq https://archive.org/stream/plantagenetrollo01ruvi#page/56/mode/2up