Author Topic: Elizabeth Anby/Hanby born about 1710 Kirkheaton  (Read 1395 times)

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Anby/Hanby born about 1710 Kirkheaton
« on: Tuesday 12 May 15 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Please can anyone help?
I know that Elizabeth Annby  married Joseph Matthews (from Emley) on 11/9/1729 in Kirkheaton.
Elizabeth's surname is very difficult to interpret on the marriage record, but I'm fairly sure that it is Annby and think that the family name might be Hanby/Anby.
I'm trying to find a baptism for Elizabeth and would be very grateful if anyone could help.  What puzzles me is that the name Hanby/Anby does not seem to be very common in KH, and I wonder if she was born elsewhere.

Many thanks,

Chris

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Anby/Hanby born about 1710 Kirkheaton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 07:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

Had a quick look at the marriage and he surname looks to begin with a B but it is hard to read it could be Buccby or Buccley but not sure.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Thanks for your reply - yes! the name is almost impossible to discern with any confidence, BUT!:
I know that Joseph, her first husband was buried in Emley on 9/10/1732, so I searched for a burial or remarriage for Elizabeth in Emley, without success.
But I then found a marriage in Kirkheaton on 23/2/1737/8 for a Joseph Dyson and Elizabeth Matthews, followed by a baptism for a HANBY Dyson, on 24/12/1738 in Thornhill, with Joseph Dyson as the father. So, I'm guessing that after she was widowed in 1732, she went home to KH, probably for support from her family (as far as I can see, the name Matthews is not a common one in KH) - this followed by the bap of Hanby Dyson in Thornhill in 1738, is, I think, quite compelling support for her maiden name being either Anby or Hanby.
Now, recently,  I've done some research on other names in KH, but as far as I can ascertain, Anby/Hanby is not a very common one, so I'd be extremely grateful for any help in tracking down her baptism.

Thanks again for your highly valued input,

Chris

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 19:09 BST (UK) »
Looking at the BMD records of Thornhill, wedding 8th June 1742 of George Field (of Bradford) and Elizabeth Hanby.
[Other [H]Anby named individuals noted.]
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian,

Thanks very much for that - yes there is a sprinkling of Anby/Hanby events in Thornhill, about that time, but I cannot find a Bap for Elizabeth about 1710 or earlier. I don't even know if Elizabeth originated from KH or Thornhill or somewhere else. Frustrating!

Thanks again,

Chris