Author Topic: British Military survivors of V2 Bombing in Antwerp 1944  (Read 3450 times)

Offline S Robinson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
British Military survivors of V2 Bombing in Antwerp 1944
« on: Tuesday 12 May 15 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am trying to find out if there are UK Association Groups or organisations that may have information about British military survivors of the Rex Cinema, Antwerp V2 bombing of 16 December 1944.

Have contacted various organisations in Belgium enquiring about historical records unsuccessfully.

Thank you.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: British Military survivors of V2 Bombing in Antwerp 1944
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 00:11 BST (UK) »
"Dec. 16, (15.17 hours) - Batt. SS 500, Hellendoorn, Site 400 (Eelerberg - first period), V-2 rocket fired, impacted the crowded Rex Cinema in Antwerp, in the Keyserlei, resulting in 567 casualties to soldiers and civilians, 291 injured and 11 houses were destroyed. 296 of the dead & 194 of the injured were U.S., British, & Canadian soldiers. (This was the single highest death total from one rocket attack during the war in Europe.) "

From reading through this article I would think there should be English records of the survivors that were taken to a British Hospital .

http://www.v2rocket.com/start/chapters/antwerp.html

How about sending an email to request if the British archives hold any information about the British military hospital in Duffle, Belgium where some of the survivors went.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/

What information are you after? A list of names or your own soldiers data? Information should be on his personal military file.

Some of the men that died were from the  Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve 2757 Sqdn. R.A.F. Regt.

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline GRWL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 13:48 BST (UK) »
My father service no 1418387 W W Lloyd  RAF Reg Squadron 2757 was at the cinema at the time but we have no details at all as he never spoke about the war in general, he appears to have had a small head wound as far as I know maybe more we shall never know , if anyone can tell me more about the movements of the squadron after Antwerp I would be pleased to hear from them, many thanks  GRWL
BEARD.DALEY.LLOYD.BIRMINGHAM.WEST MIDS.IRELAND
HABGOOD.STANLEY.--WILTSHIRE.BIRMINGHAM.

Offline S Robinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 21:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for reply and information Whiteout7

His personal military file cannot be requested therefore looking at other sources of information. A list of names would be a start to verify it is the correct person.

I have looked at the V2rocket.com website which was very useful. Will take a look again at the National Archives as have now noticed Wellcome Library archive website.

GRWL - Do you have a photograph of your father in uniform? As I am trying to confirm the regiment with the photograph I have.

Thank you.

Offline GRWL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 May 15 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi
   Here are several pics afraid I don`t know when or where they were taken,hope this helps.  GRWL
BEARD.DALEY.LLOYD.BIRMINGHAM.WEST MIDS.IRELAND
HABGOOD.STANLEY.--WILTSHIRE.BIRMINGHAM.

Offline S Robinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 May 15 16:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this.

The photo I have is with no jacket but he has hat, shirt and trousers.  Will post shortly.

Offline S Robinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 May 15 16:51 BST (UK) »
Cap probably more appropriate name!