Author Topic: Thomas Seal married Elizabeth Esther Alice ?  (Read 6322 times)

Offline tamatitom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Seal married Elizabeth Esther Alice ?
« on: Wednesday 13 May 15 03:25 BST (UK) »
Hi I am looking for my GG Grandmother Elizabeth Esther Alice Seal born circa 1845 St Helier Jersey Channel Islands. Her Husband was Thomas Seal born circa 1841 in Tipperary Ireland. In the England Wales census 1871 they were living on Portsea Island Hampshire. They had 3 children ranging from 4yrs to just born. The five of them Emigrated to New Zealand in 1873 on the SS Dover Castle and settled in the Otago area.
I am only new at this and am not sure if this is possible or not please let me know either way thanks.
Regards

Online crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Seal married Elizabeth Esther Alice ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 05:09 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat  :)
The best way to find out the maiden name of your gg grandmother is to purchase one of the children's birth certificates. I say to buy the birth cert because I can't find a marriage record for a Thomas Seal to an Elizabeth Esther A or H. (it looks like an H in the 1871 census.
I also can't find a birth of an Elizabeth Selina Seal on FreeBMD on Portsea (as per the 1871 census)  I can only see a birth reg for an Elizabeth Selina Sparkes. However there is a birth registration for John Seal September 1/4 1868  Portsea  vol 2b page 441
Also for Thomas William Seal September 1/4 1870 Portsea vol 2b page 385.
You can order certificates from the GRO online https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

In the 1871 census both Thomas and Elizabeth are age 22 making their births c 1849. Do you have other documents giving different birth dates?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 09:22 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat,

Do you have any NZ Death Certs for the Seals?

They are usually incredibly informative.

NZ BMD has Elizabeth Esther Alice Seal Death Reg;
1932/12763 age 87

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 10:01 BST (UK) »
If your in NZ it would be easier to get this Birth Cert;
1878/12738   Seal    Alexander    Elizabeth Esther Alice   Thomas

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline tamatitom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish 1120,
Thanks for that I will get some certificates and go from here. I have 1871 census when they are both 22 and the ships list 1873 where Thomas is 32 and Elizabeth 23. so birth certs are the next step.
Thankyou for your help.

Offline tamatitom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 May 15 03:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Crisane
Sorry I didnt acknowledge your work, I am still getting used to the system. I have applied for 2 death certs so will see what information I get.
regards

Online crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 May 15 05:07 BST (UK) »
No worries tamatitom :D

When you get the certs do comeback and tell us what they say. That way this thread is finished off nicely.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 May 15 09:50 BST (UK) »
I agree, I am also looking forward to what the Certs contain.

Then we can hopefully help you more :)

Offline tamatitom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 03:12 BST (UK) »
Death certificates are here a few questions regarding dates but a lot more answers.
GG Grandmother was born c 1848 Elizabeth Esther Alice (father Robert Mallett on her Death cert) (and Marrat on his Death cert) both in Jersey Channel Islands.
GG Grandfather was born c 1841 in Nenagh County Tipperary Ireland. They were married in Jersey Channel Islands in c 1863. I have seen the England Wales census of 1871 and think Thomas age is wrong because the New Zealand Shipping records make him 7 yrs older and also his death cert. I hope this will help with here birth dates, I am assuming her maiden name on his Death Cert is the right one "Marrat" because she was still alive when he died and lived another 47yrs.