Author Topic: Neil-Walsh marriage Ahiohill or Clonakilty 1833-1835  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Michael ONeil

• RootsChat Member
  • O'Neil with 1 L
    • View Profile
Neil-Walsh marriage Ahiohill or Clonakilty 1833-1835
« on: Wednesday 13 May 15 08:43 BST (UK) »
Anyone any ideas/suggestions because I’m stuck?

I’ve use all the records at IrishGenealogy.ie site but no luck so far.

I’m looking for a marriage of James Neill and Catherine Walsh shortly before the birth the birth of their first child Mary in May 1835. I can’t imagine the marriage being more than 2 years before this and I’m looking at either:

Church of the Assumption in Ahiohill (Enniskeane/Desertserges parish).
Church of the Immaculate Conception in Clonakilty.

The daughter Mary was born in Cashelisky and her baptismal record (along with 8 siblings) is at the Church of the Immaculate Conception in Clonakilty - I’ve got all of these. James Neill was from Cashelisky and variously Reenroe/Rinroe and later Fourcuil but these are all a stone’s throw from each other. However I have a clue in a document that Catherine signs in 1877 in the USA (the family emigrated in 1850) in which she says she was married by a Rev Maurice Roche (unfortunately no date or location given) and with a bit of digging it looks likely he was PP at Desertserges (1817-1839) and he is buried at the Church of the Assumption in Ahiohill. I know that Catherine’s father was a Patrick Walsh and I have gone through the 1829 Tithe Appointment books for Ahiohill and there are only four households - 2 Walsh families (one of which is a Patrick), a Burchill and Reverend Maurice Roche. So it seems like the facts fit?

So if the convention was marriages took place in the bride’s parish then Ahiohill, if not then my only other lead is the groom’s parish - Clonakilty.

So back to the records at IrishGenealogy.ie. For Enniskeane/Desertserges it says marriages available from 1816 but I can’t find any for Neil/Walsh nor any officiated by Roche however there’s year after year of baptisms by Roche. I have seen some info (somewhere) that the records for this parish are split and may be included in Bandon but I’ve tried Bandon too so I was wondering if the baptismal book and marriage book say for Church of the Assumption have somehow been put into different parishes. It seems odd that Roche has done all of these baptisms but no marriages? Does anyone know if you can navigate easily to the 1st page of the book when viewing an individual record - there’s only previous and next page option. I was thinking if I can compare the front page of the baptism and marriage books I might be able to ascertain what church.

Seems like I’m so near yet so far with this.
Surnames: O'Neil, Beechinor, Ames, Dickers
Locations: Clonakilty, Cashilisky, Fourcuil, Ringroe, Knuckskagh, New York City, Ohio, Canada, Liverpool.