Author Topic: William Godwin born Bristol c. 1877  (Read 4297 times)

Offline Gerryk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Godwin born Bristol c. 1877
« on: Wednesday 13 May 15 19:26 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know of a William Godwin, born in Bristol in 1877? He later emigrated to Waterford, Ireland where he married Eileen Casey on 28th April 1902. He died in Kilkenny in 1943. Trying to link up with any family left in Bristol. His date of birth or mother's name would be of great help.
Many thanks
Gerry
Kane, Cleary, Kennedy, Flynn,

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Godwin born Bristol c. 1877
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 19:51 BST (UK) »
do you have the marriage cert which should give father's name and occupation - I have found 2 William Godwins of correct age b Bristol in 1881 census

do you have any further family "clues"?

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genealogist1000

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have found a William Godwin specifically born in Bristol, however there are others in Gloucestershire around this time as well in case this is not him, as it is a year later than you said (but leeway can be given) I found the 1901 census in Waterford for William, do you have this also?

1881 census from findmypast.co.uk (living in Barton Regis)

Edward Godwin Head Married Male 37 1844 Carrier Bristol, Gloucestershire, England
Transcription

Sarah Godwin Wife Married Female 36 1845 - Dorset, England
Transcription

Elizabeth Godwin Daughter Single Female 13 1868 - Bristol, Gloucestershire, England
Transcription

Edward Godwin Son Single Male 8 1873 - Bristol, Gloucestershire, England
Transcription

William Godwin Son Single Male 3 1878 - Bristol, Gloucestershire, England

1891 census

Sarah D Godwin Head Married Female 40 1851 Tailoress Whitechapel, Dorset, England
Transcription

Edward J Godwin Son Single Male 18 1873 Hair Dresser Assistant Bristol, Gloucestershire, England
Transcription

William Godwin Son Single Male 13 1878 Painter Bristol, Gloucestershire, England
Transcription

Wm D Williams Boarder Single Male 23 1868 Baker Blaenavon, Monmouthshire, Wales

I think this is most probably your William's family as he is also a hairdresser on the 1901 census and his brother is a hairdresser here. I'm interested seeing as I have Godwin family in Gloucestershire and Wiltshire

I think this is his parents' marriage

Edward Godwin to Sarah Denning Gapper 26 May 1867 St Jude Bristol. Parents John Godwin and Benjamin Tapper.

Christenings of Edward/Sarah children:

Elizabeth Ann 1868
Edward John 1872
In Bristol.

Let me know if you need any more help, or if you think this is the right/wrong William. Do you have the marriage certificate of William, as this will confirm who his father is :)

Offline genealogist1000

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 20:03 BST (UK) »
As the other person says above, there is another William Godwin.

This one was living in Burton on Trent and was also born in 1878 on the 1881 census.

His parents were Charles and Rose Godwin. I just thought it would make more sense with the hairdresser link, but it could prove false and just be based on my assumptions.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 20:30 BST (UK) »
I must admit I too did favour the William with parents Edward & Sarah but felt I needed to be cautious until other information was given

Good find  geneaologist 1000

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gerryk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 12:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both. Now that I know William's parents were Edward and Sarah, we can look further. My friend, Bill Godwin, is grandson of this William. He is overjoyed to have made this connection. He, however, is not a roots/chatter yet. I'm trying to encourage him. He is delighted to have found his grandfather's parents names.
Thanks again.
Gerry
Kane, Cleary, Kennedy, Flynn,

Offline tinneas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 December 17 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerryk

Regarding your post re William Godwin, married to Eily Casey of Waterford.  I am actually a grand niece of Eily Godwin nee Casey.  I am also searching my family history on the Casey side.  I believe that another Godwin married a Patrick Casey a brother of Eily's. 

Offline Billgod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tinneas,
I have just registered and joined Rootschat at the recommendation of Gerryk. I believe we have a match!

Eily Godwin nee Casey from Waterford was my paternal grandmother. I have a fair bit of information of her two brothers Michael and Patrick (Paddy) both of whom died young. There is a quite interesting back story to their lives.
I still have to figure out how Rootchat works, so I'm not sure where we go from here?
Regards
William (Bill) Godwin

Offline tinneas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill, I was absolutely delighted to receive a reply from you.  My Grandmother was a sister of Eily Godwin.  I don't know if you know anything else about their family.  Bill & Eily lived in Kilkenny.

I found that Patrick was in the Navy and was blown up on a ship called 'the Gloworm in 1919 and is buried in the Allied Cemetery, Archangel in Northern Russia.  He was married to Doris Lilian Grace Godwin.  I don't know what relation she was to Bill.

I also read that Partick was arrested for disorderly behaviour!! What ever that was?

I found that Michael died in 1915 I'm not sure if he was also married to Doris Lilian Grace Godwin.

I never knew much about the Casey side of my family but I do remember my Mum saying she used to go on holidays to Bristol when she was young.

My Grandmother had a picture of a young man in a sailor suit in her sitting room and I reckon now it was one of the brothers but I was too young to ask at that time.

I can maybe help you with the names of some of the Godwin/Casey's.

I only joined Rootschat yesterday.  I just happened to put William Godwin's name into my search engine and the message that GerryK put up popped up.  I could not believe it. 

Thank you again for replying.  It is only now that I can see that the message was posted in 2015.  Kind regards. Yvonne