Author Topic: William Godwin born Bristol c. 1877  (Read 4319 times)

Offline Billgod

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Godwin born Bristol c. 1877
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 December 17 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tinneas
Here are a few facts from my records to be going on with..

This is a tale of two families...The Godwins from Bristol and The Caseys from Waterford.  William Godwin moved to Ireland and married Eileen Casey in 1902 in Waterford. Years later Eily's brother (s) married Williams niece Doris in Bristol. 

John Casey b1852 in Waterford married Johanna Kennedy b 1853 in Tipperary. They had 6 children.
Bridget b1879, Eileen b 1882, Michael 1883-1924, Elizabeth 1885-1963, Patrick 1886-1919 and Annie b 1891. Patrick was killed in Archangel in Russia in 1919 fighting the Bolsheviks in the revolution. he is buried there. Both Michael and Patrick married Doris Godwin. She was widowed twice by aged 23.

I hope this tallies with your knowledge? I would be most interested to tap into your information on the Godwins, specifically details of my grandfather's parents. I have a birth cert but I cant be certain it is the correct William Godwin, as it was a common name in Bristol around that time.

Best regards

Bill

Offline tinneas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 December 17 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill, thank you for your information.  I am aware that John and Johanna had 6 children.  All your dates are correct.  Elizabeth was my grandmother.  She married John Lucey from Cork and they had two girls Joan and Noreen and I am Noreen's daughter. 

Unfortunately I am unable to help you with your enquiry regarding your paternal great grandparents.  I will keep a lookout when I am sourcing info.  We never knew anything about the Casey family.  I only discovered through the Census that John and Johanba were the names of my maternal great grandparents.  I knew my Grandmother was from Cork and remember meeting Eily & Annie when I was a child.

I could tell you a bit about the younger Godwin's if you are interested.  I know Annie's grandchildren well.

I never heard of Bridget Casey and was wondering if by any chance you knew if she was called Johanna.  She is on the 1901 census but disappeared on the 1911 one. I was wondering if she died fro TB or something like that.  I came across a Johanna who died in the Union Hospital in Waterford aged 24.

You certainly clarified the info on Doris because she came up as with Michael and then with Patrick and I wondered if she was married to both.  She married Patrick in St George's Bristol.  I also think she died in Oxford in 1956.

What an amazing story.

Bill Godwin and Eily Casey had Edward & Patricia known as Mary and a son called Niall.  I have a picture of Eddie and Eily at my parents wedding.

Mary married a man called Bill Deasy from Cork and they had children called Niall & Patricia who live in Dublin.  Niall married a lady called Pearl I can't remember her second name and they had girls called Mary & Annette Godwin.  You may know all this already.

Thank you for confirming the Casey info for me.

With very best wishes.  Yvonne O'Donohoe (nee Kennedy) this is just a coincidence the Kennedy part!!

Offline tinneas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 December 17 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill its me again.  I was rereading the above posts again and something else came to mind and I don't know if this significant.  Niall Godwin son of Eily and Bill had a hairdressing business in Kilkenny.  Does this help you?

I also said I knew the Casey's were from Cork and I meant to say Waterford.  So we are 'related' through marriage!!!

Offline Billgod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 December 17 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Yvonne,
Would you believe it I even had you in my tree - albeit as Kennedy.

The only information I have on Brigid (Bride) was that she was married with a son. Nothing else I'm afraid. This came from a note my mother many years ago. The Eddie you mentioned in your note at your parents wedding was my father. I am in regular contact with the Deasys, formerly from Cork and the Godwins (Niall) in Kilkenny. Pearl only died a few years ago.

Thanks for all the information. It's been most interesting. Great to tie up loose ends and confirm hunches.

Warmest regards

Bill Godwin 

Offline tinneas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 December 17 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill the plot thickens!  I can't believe you have me in your family tree.  I have a sister Hilary married to a Michael O'Carroll from Tipperary man.  My dad John Kennedy was also from Tipp.  Do you know where in Tipp Johanna was from?

You seem to have done an enormous amount on your family tree.  I will try and see if I can locate your great grand parents. If I can't I have a cousin on my Dad's side who has done amazing work on the Kennedy website and I will ask her if she can find anything.  She is away at the moment but we might have some luck.

Regarding your Dad Eddie.  I never knew if he had children.  Do you have brothers and sisters?.  Are you in Ireland?  My Mum was very friendly with Mary Deasy but I only seem to meet the Deasys at funerals. 

I was at school in Kilkenny when Eily Godwin died in 1956. Mary Godwin, daughter of Niall was in the same school with me.

We will keep looking. It's been so nice to meet you Bill.  Keep in touch and I will also you never know what we might dig up.

By the way what was your Mum's name because I think she is in the photo I have and she was the only one I could not identify.

Offline Billgod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 December 17 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Yvonne
My Dad, Edmond Godwin b1903 d1993, married Angela Tierney b 1913 d 2001. They had 4 children Margaret, Nora, Angela and William (myself). Margaret lives in Switzerland, Nora in New York and Angela and myself live close by in Dublin.

I have probably spread my efforts too wide. But when I originally started the family tree I included everyone mentioned my Mother, who had a great memory of both her side and Dad's side of the family. This included entries for Lizzie Casey, Noreen and John Kennedy, Hillary and Yvonne, Joan and Bill Kelleher and family (4 I believe). The only information I have for Johanna is she was born in Tipperary Town.
The quest goes on. Quite fascinating really and addictive.
Bill

Offline tinneas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 December 17 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill I think that makes you a first cousin once removed of my Mum and a second cousin of mine am I correct?

You are correct with the information in your last post.  My Mum died in 1995.  My Auntie Joan died in 2003 in Cork.  Yes she and Bill Kelleher had 4 daughters, Mary, Colette, Cecily & Raymonde.  Mary is married in Cork, Colette is single, living in Galway, Cecily is widowed and living in Cork and Raymonde is married and living in Spiddle, Co, Galway.

I visited Colette & Raymonde in mid November.

I also live in Dublin.  I met Patricia Deasy at Eileen Clarke's funeral a few years ago (she was one of Annie's 2 daughters).

Have you looked on many sites for your great grand parents.  What was your great grandfather's name and did he have an initial?  I will have a look on the sites I have.

Have you ever done a DNA test?  I applied for the kit on Ancestry but have not done it yet as I'm merging the Kennedys and the Casey's to give me a bigger field.

Thank you for the info on Johanna.  I knew she was a Kennedy from Tipperary but Tipperary Town is great as I can see what I can pick up from the church records.

Do you have any a formation on the Neary or Clarke Families.  These are Annie's children and grandchildren.  I can maybe help you there if you are interested.

My sister Hilary has 3 Children, Ruairi, Ruth, Muireann (stillborn) and Andrea. Ruairi is married with no family and Ruth is married with 2 children Beth & Carl and Andrea is single.

I don't have a family and live in Lucan so now you have more info about us.

Thanks for all your help Bill.  Best wishes, Yvonne

Offline Billgod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 31 December 17 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Yvonne
Thanks for filling in some of the blanks from your side of the family.
I had listed Raymonde as a male ...
I have just done the Ancestry.com DNA test and am waiting for the results with some fear and trepidation! 
My information on the Annie Casey tree is sketchy. We know The Clarks - Brian and Anne Connolly well (in fact my wife met her yesterday. We come across the Nearys occasionally but I don't know much about the Dunnes. 

A couple of answers for you.
Doris Casey (nee Godwin) died in Oxfordshire on23 Sept 1956.
Our Great grandfather John Casey (yes we are 2nd cousins) was born in 'Hill of Passage' Waterford on 27 June 1852 Possible to Thomas Casey and Johanna Pignill (?),

Happy New Year and hope to meet some day

Bill 

Offline tinneas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 February 18 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill, I just found the details of your Grandparents marriage and it shows that your paternal great grandfather was Edward Godwin and he was an engineer.  You may have found this already.

Belated Happy 2018.

Yvonne