Author Topic: Webb & Rassell, Tobacconists, High Street Reigate around WW1  (Read 6669 times)

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Webb & Rassell, Tobacconists, High Street Reigate around WW1
« on: Wednesday 13 May 15 19:33 BST (UK) »
I recently discovered that my father's uncle was the Rassell partner of Webb & Rassell, a tobacconists in High Street Reigate prior to WW1.  I had found rare cigarette cards on the internet that were produced by Webb & Rassell and never realised the company was connected with our branch of the family until I found an obituary of my great-uncle who died at Arras in the war.

I've been trying to find out more about the company/shop/partnership but without much success.  I found the oldreigate.com website and many photos of the high street but not been able to find their premises. 

Do you have any idea where I might find any more information about Webb & Rassell?  It seems odd that a small concern would produce cigarette cards (only one set of 50 "War Portraits" cards) if it were just a local tobacconists.  Grateful for any information or pointers where I might look.

Thanks for reading
Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Webb & Rassell, Tobacconists, High Street Reigate around WW1
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 20:09 BST (UK) »
It seems the series "War portraits " was issued 1914-15. The cards were prepared with space at the foot at the back of the card blank for issuers to add their individual names often in shadea of brown differing from the original printing at least 81 individual firms used this format .
The list of firms include Webb & Rassell of Reigate - but the firms are from all over the country including Scotland. Many were "issued" by cinemas (or Picture Palaces ) one of which was a local cinema from my childhood in Derbyshire

Hope this helps a little with your reseach

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 20:24 BST (UK) »
Oh I see! Yes that does help and makes perfect sense Suz, thank you!

Grateful for any other information or suggestions, I've tried looking for advertisements in local newspapers and also at directories but with little success.
Thanks, Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 20:51 BST (UK) »
all I have found so far is in the Surrey Mirror 15 may 1917 headline "Reigate tradesman killed "
Gives lots of detail about A. G. Rassell =partner in the firm 
do you already have this or do your require it??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 21:00 BST (UK) »
I do have that already thanks Suz, that's the clipping that gave me the connection between Dad's uncle and the cigarette cards. Thanks for the suggestion though  :)
Heather

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 21:20 BST (UK) »
Nothing so far - do you have Mr Webbs forename?

Wondered if he kept the shop going after Albert's demise??

Suz

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 21:29 BST (UK) »
No, I don't know his name unfortunately, I'd wondered if he continued the business too.  I found photos on the Old Reigate site that show a dairy called Webb which may be connected in some way but that's the only lead so far.
Heather

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 21:36 BST (UK) »
I found a Mr Webb who was a diaryman in reigate on census

Suz

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 21:38 BST (UK) »
Mrs Rassell (Lillian Emily) went back to Guildford after her husband's demise - so wondered if the shop kept going ?? Of course Mr Webb could be in the armed forces too

Suz