Author Topic: Webb & Rassell, Tobacconists, High Street Reigate around WW1  (Read 6664 times)

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Webb & Rassell, Tobacconists, High Street Reigate around WW1
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 July 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
Of some interest and help??  I should say so!  That's really helpful and fascinating, thank you so much for taking the time to look it all up  ;D

I have seen the image you posted thank you, it was that newspaper report that gave me the connection between Albert and Webb & Rassell. 

Thanks to your research I've managed to find a photograph of the shop once it was A J Watson Tobacconist, there's no date ascribed to the photo but it's definitely the right shop with the distinctive gable.  I've also found a photo dated 1915 which shows the shop in the distance and I've posted a query on the site as to whether any of the signwriting is legible on the original.

I really appreciate your time and assistance with this Kilkennylass, hope I can return the favour some time  :)
Kind regards, Heather

Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline kilkennylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 July 15 21:54 BST (UK) »
an air conditioned library was a very pleasant place to be today !

In 1915 Mr Rassell worked between Lucas & Sons the bakers at number 26, and William Sims, a fruiterers, at number 22, with Ainslie Brothers, butchers, at no20.  In 1923 it was all the same, except the bakers was then called Newport Brothers...

The directories were on microfiche so not really suited for photos but I took one anyway, attached is the 1917 entry...(hopefully you can read it ok)

I couldn't find any book that was 'A History of Reigate High Street' ...  perhaps I should write it myself !

Glad to have helped, just let me know if you need anything else

all the best, Abby
Sims, Abigall, Nash, Gilmour, Bradford

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 July 15 23:08 BST (UK) »
I'm not quite sure how hairdressing works alongside tea and tobacco!  An unusual combination  :)

Thanks again, Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 04 July 15 23:27 BST (UK) »
1901/11 Joseph Richard Miller Tea Dealer & Tobacconist (and wife and children) were at 24 High St

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 05 July 15 10:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Suz, I found Joseph in 1871 as a child living in High Street Reigate with his parents and siblings. His father John Miller was also a tea dealer and tobacconist way back then so it seems it was a long established business.
Albert was a Shop Assistant for a tobacconist in 1911 whilst living in Springcopse Road in Reigate, maybe he was working for Joseph Miller at no 24 High Street then?
By the way Abby thanks for the photo of the trade directory fiche, it's worked very well. I don't suppose you took a photo of the advertisement in 1917 on page 152 did you?
Kind regards, Heather

Offline kilkennylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 05 July 15 10:38 BST (UK) »
I don't suppose you took a photo of the advertisement in 1917 on page 152 did you?

I did....but very poor quality photo, sorry. I couldn't get an angle that took all the reflections out :(

if you can't read it, it simpy says

WEBB & RASSELL
Goods Delivered FREE
Wholesale Tobacconists
Prices & Terms on application
REIGATE

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 05 July 15 10:49 BST (UK) »
That's great thank you Abby!  That was a very simple advert, doesn't give much away does it?  I'm grateful to have seen it tho - there was me imagining all sorts of fancy artwork and details  ;)
Heather

Offline kilkennylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 05 July 15 11:49 BST (UK) »
When I saw their name in the list of advertisers, I thought the same as you.  Fancy artwork, perhaps an image of the shop front, or details of names....but no, they went for the minimal approach !

I ony took the two photos, this ad and the 'hairdresser' one.  I'm glad the building is one of the unchanged ones on the High Street, its easy to pinpoint it old photos.  Francis Frith took many in the street, theres one from 1919 which shows the building well but you can't make out the shop names !

I can take a photo of it today if you like, but tbh apart from Blockbuster (i used to work there back in the day !) now being Fat Face, its the same as googleview.  Springcopse Road is the same as well......not much changes around here !

Just let me know if you need anything else :)

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 05 July 15 15:42 BST (UK) »
Very kind of you to offer Abby but I don't think I need anything else at the moment. You've already helped much more than I was hoping for!   :)
Heather