Author Topic: Webb & Rassell, Tobacconists, High Street Reigate around WW1  (Read 6667 times)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Webb & Rassell, Tobacconists, High Street Reigate around WW1
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 22:16 BST (UK) »
the Dairy was at 56 High St and was run by Arthur Webb (wife Nellie) it seems Arthur took over the business from his father William T Webb

About the time of Abert G's marriage Albert was a shop assistant in a tobacconists

I estimate Albert could only have been a partner in the firm for a short time c. 1911-1917

There was a tobacconists at 38 High St  which was run by Edward William Owen for a short time

I will check if any of the Webb brothers became tobacconists

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 22:33 BST (UK) »
Goodness you've been busy! Thanks for all that Suz  :)
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 May 15 00:33 BST (UK) »
haven't yet managed to connect the Webbs to a tobacconists

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kilkennylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 June 15 17:19 BST (UK) »
Interesting thread.  I live in Reigate so if you need any photo's taken, or research done at Reigate Library, just let me know :)

My thought is the Webb & Rassell shop was one of the collection of little shops behind the Town Hall (the building that justs into the road), thus when photos are taken the shops are hidden behind it.  Its the only part of the High Street that I've never found a photo of....
Sims, Abigall, Nash, Gilmour, Bradford

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 June 15 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Kilkennylass, thanks for your reply and offer of help.  :)   I think everything I know about my great uncle and the Webb & Rassell business is already on this thread, so any other information you might be able to find at the local library would be most welcome!
Perhaps your library might have trade or street directories that could help? 
Thanks again for your interest  :)
Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline kilkennylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 June 15 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather, that was my thought about trade directories.  I only have a Kellys one from 1940, and no mention of Webb & Rassell in that, as expected. 

I'll be able to have a look for you next saturday, so if you think of anything else you'd like me to look up, just let me know :)

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 June 15 19:45 BST (UK) »
That's very kind, thank you!   :)

Offline kilkennylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 July 15 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather, I assume you've already seen this image, but i'll post it anyway ....off to the library in the morning :)

Offline kilkennylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 July 15 17:06 BST (UK) »
Heather, Resources at Reigate Library were actually very poor for this particular quest, but had more luck at Redhill library as they had some trade directories on microfiche.

First thing i looked for was the exact address so that i could trace the occupants, and that turned out to be 24 High Street.  Using the the address and the trade directories I found the following :

In 1912, 1913 and 1914 - 24 High Street, AJ Miller Wholesale Tobacconist & Tea Merchants

1915 - 24 High Street, Webb & Rassell Wholesale Tobacconist & Tea Merchants

1916 - no info available

1917 - 24 High Street, Webb & Rassell Wholesale Tobacconist, Tea Merchants and Hair Dressers.  They took out a Half page advert on p.152 of this directory

1918-22 no info available

1923 - 24 High Street, Arthur James Watson Tobacconist

1924 - 24 High Street Arthur James Watson Tobacconist at two locations

So we can deduce that Webb & Rassell took over an already established tobacconist and tea merchants in 1915, added a 'hair dressers' in 1916, and they themselves were taken over some time between 1918 and 1922.

The directories Redhill library don't have might be at the Surrey History Centre in Woking, if you wanted to narrow down any dates, but I think its fair to say that after the death of Mr Rassell in 1917 the business was probably taken over by Mr Watson fairly quickly.  I did check in all the directories for any other business either Webb or Rassell might have had, but there was nothing listed.

Today 24 High Street is occupied by White Estate Agents, and the building is unchanged so you should be able to pinpoint it on old photos .. heres googles view of it https://goo.gl/maps/CAEX4

Hope this has been of some interest, and help !

All the best, and let me know if you want anything else looked up :)