Author Topic: Charles Victor Hill ( d.1942 ) and Mary Hill of Sutton  (Read 2357 times)

Offline pirhana

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Victor Hill ( d.1942 ) and Mary Hill of Sutton
« on: Wednesday 13 May 15 20:12 BST (UK) »
Charles Victor Hill was a seaman lost at sea in 1942 when the Cunarder " Laconia" was sunk by a U-boat in the Atlantic. Both he and his wife Mary were originally from Liverpool and were married there in 1925. They had three children- May ( b.1926 ), Norman ( b.1929 ) and Richard (b.1927 ). The Hills moved from Merseyside in approximately 1938/9 and settled in Sutton, I am told by an elderly relative, so that Charles could sail more easily from southern ports such as Southampton,etc.. I am also told that the house in which they lived in Sutton was named after their three children "Manorich". Unfortunately I have no idea of the postal address which is what I am really trying to find out. Does anyone have a street directory for the relevant period ( 1938-1942 ) or does anyone know anything more about any of the above people?

Many thanks,

Pirhana.
Dinsdale ( North Yorkshire , Wolverhampton & North Wales) , Alderson ( North Yorkshire )Hill ( Toxteth ) , Morland ( North Yorkshire )  , Simpson ( Nathan- Lead miners North Yorkshire ), Walsh( Midlothian ), Webster ( Henry-Midlothian & Newcastle )

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Victor Hill ( d.1942 ) and Mary Hill of Sutton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

A probate record gives the address as Manovich, Hillview Road, Sutton, Surrey.  Death on or after 12th September 1942 at sea. Administration to widow Mary Powell Hill. Effects £1015.10s

Postal code looks as if it is either SM1 3NS or SM1 3NT
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pirhana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 23:18 BST (UK) »
To groom, many thanks indeed for that probate information. The "Laconia" went down on 12 September 1942 so the date of death is correct as well as Mrs Hill's middle name which I know from marriage records was Powell.

Pirhana
Dinsdale ( North Yorkshire , Wolverhampton & North Wales) , Alderson ( North Yorkshire )Hill ( Toxteth ) , Morland ( North Yorkshire )  , Simpson ( Nathan- Lead miners North Yorkshire ), Walsh( Midlothian ), Webster ( Henry-Midlothian & Newcastle )

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 23:44 BST (UK) »
I read probate to "May Powell Hill"

and think she died 1994
death
May Powell Hill
born 5 May 1900
death reg Nov 1994
age 94
Sutton

and her birth is reg in West Derby reg dist 1901 as May Powell Robinson
so it seems her name was May not Mary

1939 Electoral roll
Epsom parliamentary district
Manorich Hill View Rd
Charles Victor Hill
May Powell Hill

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 23:50 BST (UK) »
Sorry - yes, you are right Suz, that was a typo. It is May and not Mary.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 May 15 00:00 BST (UK) »
It looks like Norman had a middle name - there is a birth record 1929 Norman E Hill mothers maiden name Robinson reg dist W Derby

this looks like his death reg
Norman Edward Hill
born 18 April 1929
death reg April 1984 age 55
Sutton
15 187

so he predeceased his mother

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 May 15 00:09 BST (UK) »
It seems Richard had middle names too
Birth reg
Richard C V Hill
mothers maiden name Robinson
Dec qtr 1927
West Derby
8b 563

he married in 1951 in Surrey eastern

Death reg
Richard Charles Victor Hill
born 12 Oct 1927
death reg April 1999
age 71
Bristol Gloucestershire
F17C 3011F32

Suz

Offline pirhana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 May 15 11:53 BST (UK) »
To suzard and groom, many thanks for the further information regarding Mrs Hill and the children ( dates of death, etc ). I accept that her name was May and not Mary which was obviously a typo which I got from elsewhere regarding her marriage to Charles which took place, I believe, at St. Thomas's Church, Seaforth, Merseyside on 08/08/1925. Her father was Edward Robinson ( butcher ) and Charles's was Richard Hill ( seaman/ship's purser ).

Pirhana.

Offline Stormzys Mum

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 March 22 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello!
I've only just discovered this site and was searching for any information about my maternal grandfather, Charles Victor Hill when I saw the messages about my late mother (also May), late Uncles Richard and Norman and my grandmother May Powell Hill (nee Robinson). I was told by my mother than her mother's middle name was in honour of Lord Baden Powell. If there is any more information that you are looking for I'd be happy to help. I have happy memories of visiting my grandmother often at 7 Hillview Road Sutton Surrey which is what used to be "Manorich"!

Best wishes
Caroline