Author Topic: MCKINNON Mull to Skye??  (Read 3455 times)

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
MCKINNON Mull to Skye??
« on: Wednesday 13 May 15 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My elusive great great grandfather, Archibald MCKINNON, was born around 1810 in Kilninian & Kilmore on the Isle of Mull and married Catherine MCARTHUR in the mid - late 1830s. They had 3 known children, Catherine, Donald and Neil at Burg, K & K in the 1840s, then they vanish. For a long time, we did not know what became of Archibald and his wife, although the children turn up on Mull later on.

Recently, we had a breakthrough. It seems that Archibald's wife died between 1847 - 1849 because Archibald married a second time, this time to Christina MCDOUGALL on the island of Coll in 1849. By 1851, they are on Tiree and Archibald's son, Neil MCKINNON, is with them. After that, gone again!

This may be a long shot, but tiny clues point to the possibility that Archibald may have gone to Skye or some other place in Invernesshire.
1) Neil MCKINNON never went to school nor learned English. He must have been raised somewhere fairly isolated.
2) Neil MCKINNON worked as shepherd as a grown man and had many different employers including a position at Struan, Skye at one point (maybe around 1900?).
3) Neil's sister, Catherine, married James MCDOUGALL and they were living somewhere in Invernesshire in 1870 when their daughter, Mary Stuart MCDOUGALL, was born.

Looking for any trace of Archibald MCKINNON and his second wife, Christina/Christy/Chrissy MCDOUGALL, both born circa 1810 on Mull, anywhere Invernessshire or otherwise. Thank you!

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MCKINNON Mull to Skye??
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 22:12 BST (UK) »
MacKinnon, a Skye name Mary, maybe that's where they originated. Burg's a very remote place in The Wilderness on the west of Mull. I've slept in the Pipers Cave there, terrible clatter in the middle of the night, not the piper, the wild goats were wanting their beds.  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Skoosh,

Oh yes, I knew there were MANY MacKinnons on Skye, but I also thought they were different MacKinnons from the Mull ones. Who knows?

I think the cave is located at the other Burg. There are 2 on Mull. My family was at the one in Kilninian , also on the west side of Mull but farther north.

I am on to another lead now! If you are watching the Dunbartonshire board, you might see a query from me. Those roving McKinnons ... I'll find you yet!

Mary

Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 May 15 10:07 BST (UK) »
Mary, there is a Mackinnon's Cave, 500 ft deep named for a piper of that name and his dog, who disappeared. The sea gets in there though, the one I stayed in is dry, basalt columns like Fingal's Cave & you can light a fire as it has a back door. As the sun set below the waves it lit the whole cave up, spectacular.

http://www.wildfuture.co.uk/index.php/western-mull-places-to-go

Bests,

Skoosh.