Author Topic: Archibald MCKINNON  (Read 7605 times)

Offline nikki68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald MCKINNON
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 April 16 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,

Thanks for your very kind offer. I actually ended up purchasing the death record/certificate today on
Scotland's People (There is an offer of 20 free credits atm - just enter "scotland" into the voucher code section). So glad that you posted on here  as I may not have found her death record, thank-you  :D

I have McKinnon in my family line too, no idea if this family line is the same as yours at this stage. my McDougall line were originally from Mull but my Kinnons were from Coll, I think but not 100 per cent sure.

Nikki

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 April 16 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Nikki,

Wonderful! And thank you so much for that tip - just got my 20 free credits!! I will phone my father about that deal too.
I have this theory that everyone in Argyll is related in some way, but those on Mull and those nearby islands are related 2 and 3 times over! The farther I go back in my father's family tree, the more I keep finding the same surnames.                                                                                 My MCKINNONs are from Burg, Kilninian but they, or their related MCARTHURs (or both) were possibly cleared from the community of Inivea (above Calgary Bay) before that. Likely, all the MCKINNONs around are the same, but very far back.                                                                My maiden name is FLETCHER. They came from Glen Orchy on the mainland but there are many FLETCHERs on Mull who claim not to be from the same family. Well, Y DNA testing by my father and others has proved otherwise. They migrated so long ago, likely connected to their traditional cattle trade occupation, that they had lost touch with their Glen Orchy roots. Fascinating stuff it is connecting these dots!                                                                                                           Do you know who the informant on the death record for Christina was? I imagine he is a son of one of Christina's brothers but I am not sure which one??                                                            Mary                                                                                     
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline nikki68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 April 16 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,

About to head off to bed.

The informant Dugald McDougall was the husband of her niece. Her niece was Joan/Joanna McDougall who was the daughter of Lachlan McDougall and Mary McKinnon. She died in their home.

Cheers,
Nicole

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 April 16 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Nikki,

Oh my goodness! So her niece, a MCDOUGALL, married another MCDOUGALL?? This MCDOUGALL had parents who were MCDOUGALL/MCKINNON? That is 3 MCDOUGALL/MCKINNON marriages now that I know of. Reminds me of my great great grandparents, Donald PATERSON and Isabella PATERSON, who were first cousins. What fun! Have a good night. Keep in touch. Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline manofmull

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Archibald may have died in the poorhouse Dumbarton/Dunbarton 1869.
I have him bap 9 Feb 1806 Kilninian, Kilninian and Kilmore as a son of Archibald McKinnon/Flora Morrison

http://www.mullfamilies.co.uk/

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Man of Mull,

Wonderful to see you here!Thank you for the reply. We have never been 100% sure about the parentage of either Archibald MCKINNON or his first wife Catherine MCARTHUR (my 2x great grandparents) so the couple you name is certainly very possible. We had been working under the assumption that Archibald was the s/o Neil MCKINNONand Margaret MCARTHUR. However, I followed their son, Archibald, down to his death on the mainland and discovered his widow, Alice MCDONALD, so that eliminated him right there. I would love to be as certain as you are that Arch MCKINNON and Flora MORRISON are my true 3x great grandparents! That way, I might have a chance at finding siblings for the younger Arch MCKINNON (2x gg). It would also allow me to be sure (or more sure) that Arch the younger was indeed the man who died in the poorhouse.

Have you done any DNA testing? I recently did autosomal testing and got a lot of hits back to Mull, as was quite expected. I am no scientist and I barely know what any of it means! If you, (or any other Mull descendant reading this), is interested, I am kit # 559241 on FTDNA and uploaded to Gedmatch as kit #T241819.

Mary

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 02:18 GMT (UK) »
I've just come across this thread but find it somewhat perplexing to follow.

You state that your Archibald Mckinnon was married to a Catherine McArthur and that they had 3 known children: Catherine, Donald, Neil all born Burg, Kilninian.

However, there only seems to have been one marriage of an Archibald to a Catherine McArthur and that was 26/4/1831 Iona and they had numerous children between 1832 and at least 1851 when both were still living - indeed, you say yourself you have rejected this couple as not being yours.

I cannot for the life of me find a Catherine, Donald or Neil McKinnon born/baptised to an Archibald and Catherine - where/when were these 3 born/baptised please?    Presumably you are connected to one of these 3 - what happened to each of them, where/when married, and where on the census have you found them?   You seem positive they had these 3 children so can you put me out of my misery please and explain how you know this.

Many thanks.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 12:46 GMT (UK) »
There's a MacKinnon's cave at Burg, spent a couple of nights in the next one to it many years ago.  Once the fire died down there was a clatter at the cave-mouth which turned out to be a herd of wild goats wanting shelter & not pleased at the new arrivals!

Skoosh.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 15:08 GMT (UK) »
You are no doubt going to think I am 'off my trolley' but please bear with me.

Looking at your other threads re. McKinnon I see that Neil was a shepherd, married to an Ann, and looking at a couple of the births of their children, they were said to have married 30/7/1883 and her maiden name was Paterson.  Couldn't find a marriage for Neil Mckinnon and Ann Paterson 1883 so eventually searched for Ann Paterson married to a Mckinnon and up it popped BUT his name was shown as Donald, a shepherd, indeed married 30/7/1883 and his parents are indeed shown as Archibald McKinnon and Catherine McArthur (in census prior to marriage 'Donald' is listed as Neil, and a shepherd.

Again, from other threads, Catherine McKinnon was married to a James McDougall in 1866 and this also shows her parents as Archibald McKinnon and Catherine McArthur and her age suggests birthdate of 1839.

I firmly believe that Archibald McKinnon and Catherine McArthur who married 26/4/1831 Iona are indeed the parents of Catherine, and that 'Donald' and 'Neil' are actually the same person.

I believe that 1841 census you have of an Archibald, Catherine and a dau. Catherine 4 is NOT the right family - in 1841 Archibald and Cathrine are in Iona with Allan 5 (think this should read 8 years), John 5, Roger 3 (believe this is the Rory shown baptised 1837), and Cathrine 1.   These children tie in with the baptisms that have already been listed on this thread.   In 1851 still in Iona with further children Mary, Hugh, Thomas and Margaret.   'Donald' McKinnon is as you say with McArthur family and the 'Neil' you believe is yours is not the one with an Archibald and Christina (who you believe to be a second wife whom he married in 1849).  Archibald married to Catherine McArthur is still alive in 1851!   By 1861 - still in Iona - Catherine is now widowed, shown as Pauper, wid. of Ag. Lab. 

As proved by marriage to Ann Paterson, and 1861/1871/1881 census, Donald McKinnon became Neil McKinnon as an adult (why I can't speculate), these are not 2 different people.

Archibald McKinnon died sometime between 1851 and 1861 and as I can't find a death for him from 1855 this would suggest that he died between 1851 and 1854 (which is of no help in confirming who his parents were).   However, the 1851 census shows his birthplace as Kilfinichen bc.1803.

So, in conclusion, I can't confirm who his parents were, and I've no doubt muddied the waters somewhat - however, if the Catherine who married James McDougall and the 'Neil', shepherd, who married Ann Paterson (as Donald) are definitely 'yours' then the parents of both are definitely Archibald McKinnon and Catherine McArthur who lived in Iona 1841/1851/1861 (the latter with Catherine a widow). 

I can't force you to believe me, of course, but feel sure I have got it correctly.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk