Author Topic: George McIntosh and Isabella Williams - Caprington Castle  (Read 12275 times)

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George McIntosh and Isabella Williams - Caprington Castle
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 May 15 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

The information from Rosie17. regarding Alexander McKinlock, and wife Jane, should i would have thought read McIntosh, instead of McKinlock, because all the births of their children are correct and in the correct destinations only under Alexander McIntosh, and his wife Jane McIntosh, including a daughter Jane Mcintosh, also a Mark Williams Mcintosh, and a Helen Mcintosh, etc.

Regards,
Jonn.

Yes it is a transcription error  :)

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 May 15 22:51 BST (UK) »
A bit more on that immigration & Australian death record spotted by Rosie:

Helen McIntosh married Robert Christie 1860 at Kilmarnock, Ayr.  He was an Ironmonger by trade, 1871 in Glasgow and 1881 in Edinburgh.  Evidently widowed by 1884, Helen left as an unassisted migrant with her three youngest children aboard the Loch Katrine, arriving Melbourne, Vic., Feb 1884.  No other Christie or McIntosh on board.

CHRISTIE, HELEN, 52, FEB 1884, LOCH KATRINE
CHRISTIE, HENRY, 14, FEB 1884, LOCH KATRINE
CHRISTIE, ISABELLA, 15, FEB 1884 LOCH KATRINE
CHRISTIE, WILLIAM, 19, FEB 1884, LOCH KATRINE

brigau

Offline itsmaggie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 May 15 00:40 BST (UK) »
I don't know where to begin with all of you helping with so much information.  Thank you all.

Br1gau - I can see that I may have to get into Scotlands People to get the OPR and especially the death certificate

No I didn't have the info re George (born 1827) moving to Dundee etc.  This is a brand new area for me here.  I saw he was an Engineer's Clerk.  That's a jump going over there unless he was involved in the fishing.  On the other hand, George, the father together with Isabella, moved over the country to employment at Caprington.  I was wondering if he (George senior) was already employed at Prestonfield in Edinburgh.  I've discovered a connection between Prestonfield and Caprington re the Cunninghames who seemed to have their feet in both houses so maybe they just 'brought staff over' or something. 

Re the emigration of Helen, Henry, Isabella and William.....Now that we know where George is, I wonder where the other brother, Robert Christie, got to.  He may have gone to Dundee as well since he was an Engineer's iron turner.

Rosie17......Thank you for your digging as well.  Isabelle's mother being a Wilson has opened another can for me as my maiden name was Wilson.  My dad was born in that area as well. 

"Is this Isabella McIntosh in the 1881 census Civil Parish Paisley Abbey Johstone Renfrewshire
Isabella McIntosh b 1807 Haddn, Haddington age 74 housewife
Ellen McIntosh b 1869 Stevenson Ayrshire age 12 scholar granddaughter
"

This one is food for thought.  Thank you for this.

Re the 1871 Census with the McKintocks (Mcintosh)....I don't know if this is connected .  This would mean that the Alexander mentioned is Isabella's son.  The age is right, together with Isabella etc but the name isn't but I'm not discounting it.

jonn - You are swaying me re the above Alexander.  He has to be connected especially with Isabella being nearby.  Thank you as well.

I'm wondering also who the original George's parents were. 

I'm taking a while to absorb all this information.  It's a never ending thing isn't it?

Cheers from Australia,

Maggie

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 May 15 10:23 BST (UK) »

Re the emigration of Helen, Henry, Isabella and William.....Now that we know where George is, I wonder where the other brother, Robert Christie, got to.  He may have gone to Dundee as well

This Robert Christie married Helen McIntosh are we getting confused here ..he is in the census forms as said in previous post's 1861 -1881
There is 1 Match for a death for Robert Christie b 1831 in 1882 Midlothian which would seem about right going by the immigration record for Helen Christie ( McIntosh )

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 May 15 10:39 BST (UK) »
There is Henry McIntosh transported to Tasmania 18/12/1845 conviction date 5/11/1845 Edinburgh 7years
Marriage Henry McIntosh 1854 Victoria to Fanny Mardon

Death for a Henry McIntosh b about 1827 died age 32 1859 Victoria
Father George Mother Isabella ?

Might be worth checking out

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 May 15 11:31 BST (UK) »
Regarding the 1871 census McKinlock /McIntosh it appears to me that Jane McIntosh married Alexander Mackintosh 16/7/1857 Kilmarnock ..So this is Isabella's daughter on the census form it says spouse of Jane Alexander ..mother Isabella
1861 Census Thornhill Station Dumfrieshire
Alexander Mackintosh b 1832 Edinburgh station master
Jane Mackintosh b 1831 Edinburgh wife
Alexander Mackintosh b 1858 Kilmarnock
Isabella Mackintosh b 1859 Morton Dumfrieshire
Jane Mackintosh b 1861 Kilmarnock

Birth for Isabella Mary Mackintosh 17/2/1859 Morton by Thornhill Dumfries
Father Alexander Mackintosh
Mother Jane Mackintosh

The Ellen McIntosh with Isabella in the 1881 census ( granddaughter )
Birth Helen Mackintosh 25/4/1868 Stevenson Ayr
Father Alexander Mackintosh
Mother Jane McIntosh

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 May 15 12:49 BST (UK) »
The family of Alexander Mackintosh and Jane McIntosh are in the later census forms no parent's

This might be possible deaths different variation of the surname

Alexander Mackintosh given a birth year of 1832 1 death match1881 Renfrew Scotlands People
Jane McIntosh same birth year 1 death match Renfrew 1876

:)

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 May 15 13:55 BST (UK) »
Such a lot of information flowing on this family, Wow, you have been busy Rosie! 

Maggie, I didn't realise that you're in Au, so you probably already have info on Helen, however her Will from prov vic fills in some of the gaps.  Their site can be a bit cumbersome to use, send me your e-mail in a PM should you want the two pdf files forwarded. 

The gist of the Will is that Helen died Intestate.  Probate was granted to the son, Henry McIntosh Christie of Welshpool, Farmer.  Helen Christie’s other children were Robert Christie of Deptford, England; George Christie of London, England; William O Christie of Brunswick, Victoria, and Isabella Moncrieff of Kanowna WA.  Helen’s husband, Robert Christie having died in Scotland in 1882
http://prov.vic.gov.au/index_search?searchid=54

Henry M Christie, Overseer of Welshpool, Vic died 30 Apr 1949.  From the Argus, Melbourne, 9 June 1949:
HENRY MCINTOSH CHRISTIE, Late of Welshpool. Retired Overseer. Deceased. -After 14 clear days THE TRUSTEES' EXECUTORS AND AGENCY COMPANY LIMITED, of 401 (formerly of 412) Collins street, Melbourne, the sole executor appointed by deceased's will, dated the 24th September 1936 will APPLY to the Supreme Court for a grant of PROBATE of the said WILL.

William Ogilvie Christie married Martha Jane Pugh 26 Oct 1892, Melbourne; occupation given as Compositor; died 25 April 1946; 9 children

Robert Christie became a Gun maker / Engineer in Deptford, 1901 and a foreman in an Electric Switch making shop in Solihull, 1911.  His wife, Sarah, died before 1911; one daughter

George John Christie moved first to Glasgow, then to Blackheath, SE London where he worked as an Accountant.  His wife was Mary; one son; one stepdaughter

Isabella Mary Ogilvie Christie married Charles Moncrieff 1 Jan 1897, she died 1915 in NE Coolgardie, buried Kanowna, WA; 9 children

:)

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 May 15 15:15 BST (UK) »
Good find Br1gau lots of information now we have been busy  ;D ;D