Author Topic: Place name help, please  (Read 10572 times)

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Place name help, please
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 14 May 15 20:27 BST (UK) »
Probably Mathavern / Mathafarn

I'm no expert on Welsh pronunciation but I'm guessing that's not what we want
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 14 May 15 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi StevieSteve
there is a really interesting project online at the moment which is transcribing tithe maps of Wales. I have had lots of success finding houses for my family in the Brecon area.
I can see a property called Escirgelynen - field numbers 246 to 262.
look for the words SheepWalks on the map (the longest and thinnest of the few there - if that makes sense) and scroll West
http://cynefin.archiveswales.org.uk/en/tithe-maps/transcribe/#Llanbryn-Mair&/transcribe/169121591382/&/georeference/144077871753/&/visualize/144077871753&&/map/850918147492/
I know the time frame is later, but for info I could see a Stephen Breese living at Clegyrddwr, Richard Breese at Coedperfyde, Elinor Breese at Ystradfach - there may be more, but there are over 70 pages of info to look through. When the project is finished, the pages will be searchable.
hope this helps you
Mar
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 14 May 15 22:22 BST (UK) »
I can see on a modern map the name   Esgair  Guelan  about 4 miles south of llanbrynmair, I think this is possible for your Escairgarry, it's a lot closer to llanbrynmair than Escairgeiliog

Mike

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 15 May 15 07:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks very very much to you both

I'm not at my fighting-fit best at the moment and haven't yet worked out how to use that tithe map link.I'll have a better go at the weekend

Nor have I spotted Esgair Guelen, but I'n sure that's down to me. Again, another job for Sunday, when I'm sure I'll  be in tip-top shape. It would certainly seem to be in a better location as I've been growing more & more concerned that Escairgeiliog is the opposite side of Llanbrynmair to Carno

Thanks once again

Steve

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 16 May 15 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi StevieSteve, if I am reading this correctly, there is a reference to Myrddyn Llwyd as a home from which you can walk to Llanbrynmair on one of the Genuki pages (see link below)
Also, a reference to another Breese !
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/MGY/Hanes6.html 
Scroll down to page 315 and the article reads:
Sixty years ago and earller, many were members in Llanbrynmair and travelled the wet and muddy paths to worship, as well as Mr John Roberts coming to preach to them occasionally. Preaching began at Cwmderwen and Thomas Edwards, Cwmderwen, and his wife,  Hugh Sychnant, and his wife and Susan from Myrddyn Llwyd, were the first to become members at Llanbrynmair. They went all the way to the socials weekly, and before going their separate ways at Dolgarregwen they would kneel and pray together. It was at Dolgarregwen that Mr John Breese, later of Liverpool, gave his first sermon. At the time he was a servant in Cwmcarneddand working in Prisgwyngyll. There are still some who remember him preaching that night in his smock and clogs.

Mar
Surname Interests

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 16 May 15 13:42 BST (UK) »
Ooh that was well found,  Mar.

Mike

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 16 May 15 14:22 BST (UK) »
Yes, good one Mar  :) .

I think the other place name is Esgairgarreg - which doesn't help much with finding it at the moment, but makes more sense as  Welsh  (Esgair - ridge. Garreg - rock). 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 16 May 15 14:59 BST (UK) »
I think we may be getting closer.. :)
http://welshjournals.llgc.org.uk/browse/viewpage/llgc-id:1085539/llgc-id:1085597/llgc-id:1085632/getText
clicked on the pdf and it reads within it "William Brees, Esgairgarreg"

Mar
Surname Interests

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 17 May 15 11:51 BST (UK) »
What fascinating links from everyone, thank you

So to summarise there appears to be a place contemporaneously called Escairgarreg inhabited by William & Elizabeth Brees / Breese / Breeze. Do you know what that list was about?

Mar, I wonder whether you are extrapolating too far that Myrddyn Llwyd is in walking distance. On today's Google Map there is a place called Cwm Derwen in Caerphilly. and only 5 miles from Abercarn. Mind you, making that journey every week really would be impressive.

I wonder where Dolgarregwen is? It's in this file

http://europeana-journals.llgc.org.uk/browse/viewpage/llgc-id:2653385/llgc-id:2654591/llgc-id:2654617/getText

but I didn't get a nice pdf link  :(

I'm thinking that if it's possible to get Myrddyn Llwyd located down South, then we're looking at two separate families

And those maps were indeed fabulous!

Thanks again to everyone.