Author Topic: Carruth Brick Wall  (Read 6336 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Carruth Brick Wall
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 May 15 18:45 BST (UK) »

Also, did Helen show as married or widowed in 1861? Did she die in Scotland? If so what did it say re parents and husband Alexander?

;) Any detail on these questions? Just helps to have as much as you have to be able for us to try to help further...

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 May 15 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Monica & John  :)

Again, for background, here is the 1851 census and family search's ref for the Alexander & Helen's marriage:

Alexander Carruth married Helen Smith 1841 Renfrewshire

1851 census – 71 Causeway St, Paisley South
Alexr Curuth / 32 / cooper employing 1 Jan (journeyman?) & 2 Apprentices / Paisley
Ellen Curuth / 31 / Paisley
Elizabeth Curuth / 9 / Paisley
John Curuth / 7 / Paisley
Alexander Curuth / 5 / Paisley

Alexander also has entries in the Renfrewshire Directories but these cease after the 1851 - 1852 edition.

http://digital.nls.uk/directories/browse/pageturner.cfm?id=85949912&mode=transcription
http://digital.nls.uk/directories/browse/pageturner.cfm?id=85952221&mode=transcription
http://digital.nls.uk/directories/browse/pageturner.cfm?id=85245448&mode=transcription

brigau

Offline Johncarruth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 May 15 20:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you again, Monica & Brigau ! Amazing to find that  on the 1851 Census,Alexander was employing 1 Journeyman & 2 Apprentices in 1852, the year that he disappears ! He had built up quite a business. What  happened ?? I didn't get half of that info on my search of the 1851 Census . That info seems to lead to the conclusion that he didn't leave Paisley to seek work !

Monica,  On the 1861 Census,Ellen is shown as Head, with a W , crossed through with an almost vertical line, against her name. Was Alexander the victim of the Cholera outbreaks which hit Paisley ? I think that you are right, I should have another look at  what happens to the children on Scotlands People when I get enough free time !

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 May 15 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hello John,

I don't think Alexander left his family, I think he just died.

Monica may have a different take on the apparent crossing out of the W on the census you mention, but those marks appear everywhere, not just Scotland.  My understanding is that after completion the census returns were used to work out local demographics, i.e. how many children under a certain age; how many widows, orphans, self employed etc.  These were ticked off the returns as they were being counted so the clerks knew where they were up to.  But I may be wrong.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 May 15 22:47 BST (UK) »
Br1gau, you are very experienced on all this stuff! I woul agree with all you mention above  :)

John, Helen shows as a widow in 1861 for what you have. Likely he died pre 1855 if you haven't been able to find a death reg post 1855  :-\ Last child showing in 1861, from earlier is Christina born c. 1851-2. Maybe Alexander died between 1851-54?

Monica

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 May 15 09:36 BST (UK) »
I imagine that the census information is collected and collated today for exactly the same reasons but I don't imagine the clerks use scratchy black pens these days.  Again, I could be wrong  ;)

John, Elizabeth Carruth only appears in the 1851 census, then aged 9.  This reference from scotland's people may explain why:

Elizabeth Carruth, recorded age of 20, mother’s maiden name Smith, died Paisley 1861

brigau

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 May 15 12:03 BST (UK) »
Br1gau, I wonder if Elizabeth died just after the 1861 census? I thought she showed on the 1861 census with family, although on the transcript I am looking at she shows as 9 rather than 19 maybe if she likely died 1861 as you found?

You mentioned 1851 and the 1861 census. Just adding this for background:

1861:
Helen Carruth/ Smith 42 b. Paisley
John Carruth 17
Alexander Carruth 15
Christina Carruth 9....Christina is shown, you thought not?
Elizabeth Smith 71 mother b. Paisley
Catherine McAllum 20
Address: 62 Canal St, Paisley High Church

Monica  :)

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 May 15 12:09 BST (UK) »
1851 census – 71 Causeway St, Paisley South
Alexr Curuth / 32 / cooper employing 1 Jan (journeyman?) & 2 Apprentices / Paisley
Ellen Curuth / 31 / Paisley
Elizabeth Curuth / 9 / Paisley
John Curuth / 7 / Paisley
Alexander Curuth / 5 / Paisley

Ah, I'm seeing Elizabeth who was 9 in 1851 and Catherine who was 9 in 1861

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 17 May 15 13:38 BST (UK) »

... and the 1861 Census when his wife, Helen (or Ellen) is shown as Head of Household and Christina is not shown.

Sorry, Br1gau  ;) Being slopply and daft me. Elizabeth is not Catherine, and that is who I was referring to! You are right, Elizabeth (first born?) looks to have died in 1861.

John, either her death cert or the census image for the family in 1861 would give you further info on the family and likely throw up further clues re father/husband.

Monica