Author Topic: margaret Clark born 1823 or so, Horncliffe (presbytarian Spittal/Norham)  (Read 3954 times)

Offline boteey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
hi

I'm looking for a baptism of someone by the name of Margaret Clark who was born around 1822/23 at horncliffe. Her sister was Jane Younger Clark born 1820/21 horncliffe/Scotland. there's no sign of them online at Norham/Berwick/Tweedmouth/Scotland. they were married at Newcastle and gave their father as William Clark, a mason. I wondered if anyone who had access to the presbytarian records for Spittal or Norham,  could have a look for this family's presence in those registers?

thanks

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: margaret Clark born 1823 or so, Horncliffe (presbytarian Spittal/Norham)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 May 15 12:59 BST (UK) »
Nothing turning up for these names in either Ancestry (who have a database and images of RG4 non conformist registers) or Family Search for Spittal United Presbyterian.

Boo

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 May 15 14:26 BST (UK) »
There are quite a few other non-conformist churches in the area too, so you may need to broaden your search a little. If you donīt have any luck with the couple you mentioned, then it might be worth trying Lowick Presbyterian next before you move on to the smaller ones.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline boteey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 May 15 17:16 BST (UK) »
thanks to you two for looking. i'll take the advice

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 May 15 18:38 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism for a Margaret Clark, 14 Aug 1823 at the Sion Meeting House in Alnwick. Parents John & Jane. Bit of a trek from Horncliff, but I wouldn't rule it out on those grounds.

RG4/Piece 1349/Folio 9
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 May 15 18:59 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism for a Margaret Clark, 14 Aug 1823 at the Sion Meeting House in Alnwick. Parents John & Jane. Bit of a trek from Horncliff, but I wouldn't rule it out on those grounds.

RG4/Piece 1349/Folio 9

Unlikely as the father's name on the later marriages is said to be William, but I checked it anyway.

That one is in FreeReg, child's name Margt (typed 'as is' from the register) the abode is Ratcheugh and the father's occupation is Hind

Boo

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 May 15 19:23 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I didnīt read the original info well enough to pick up on the father being William.

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 May 15 19:32 BST (UK) »
I have an index for Spittal Presbyterian - just confirming nothing there. Ditto Berwick High Meeting House and Crookham Presbyterian. I don't have access to Norham Presbyterian but you can order the film through family search to view at the nearest LDS family history centre if no one is able to do a look up.

If you checked Norham Parish via the on line BTs, did you keep an eye on gaps? All the BTs I have used have gaps, sometimes skipping a couple of years. Again, You can order a film of the parish records through familysearch to be sure.

Did you check Scotlandspeople or just www.familysearch.org for the Scottish records? Though scotlandspeople will only have C of Scotland and RC records, not the various other Protestant non-con congregations in Scotland. Unfortunately I have read that the survival rate for the latter is not great.

Hope you find them.

Offline boteey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 May 15 19:41 BST (UK) »
there was apparently an English presbytarian in horncliffe also. doesn't seem to be any records before 1854 when it was united reform church.