Author Topic: The baptism of a Thomas ROLFE in Methwold, 17th December 1753  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
The baptism of a Thomas ROLFE in Methwold, 17th December 1753
« on: Saturday 16 May 15 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Everyone,
For some reason I cannot get my computer to open the original PR's on Familysearch.org, and I'm still uncertain im my mind that the individual Thomas ROLFE whom I'm trying to pin down is the one baptised in Feltwell in 1742.
I was wondering whether there might be other details for a 17th December 1753 Methwold baptism of another Thomas ROLFE, parents Thomas and Jane.  Might there be other ROLFE's in the parish register for about this time, indicating that the family lived there for a while.
Sorry to be so insistent/persistent, but you know how it is…
Many thanks, Keith

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The baptism of a Thomas ROLFE in Methwold, 17th December 1753
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 May 15 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I looked quickly at the Bishops Transcripts for both baptisms on familysearch and neither seem to be there although unless the records are out of order it does look like they are incomplete.

Using www.freereg.org there appears to be 3 Feltwell baptisms, Thomas, Mary 1741/2 and Edward 1750 - on Edward's baptism record it shows he was baptised the same day that his father Thomas was buried. Thomas was living at Hockwold at the time of his death, 3 miles from Feltwell.

Also from freereg, there are a number of Methwold Rolfe (and variants) families baptising children from 1705 so it might be worth having a look on this site - tick the soundex box for the surname so you get the variants. Thomas and Jane certainly baptised quite a few children around the mid 1700s they married in Methwold in 1747, both single)

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: The baptism of a Thomas ROLFE in Methwold, 17th December 1753
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 May 15 23:51 BST (UK) »
Shirl,
Thanks so much for that!  I'll have a good look at all those details you have so kindly unearthed for me…
Keith