Author Topic: Finding Liverpool Regiment Records  (Read 1960 times)

Offline HenningWalker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Finding Liverpool Regiment Records
« on: Saturday 16 May 15 17:26 BST (UK) »
I recently unearthed a rather interesting Army Discharge Record on findmypast for my Greatx3 Uncle who came from the Welsh village of Brymbo. It seems he served with the Liverpool Regiment until 1916 when poor health lead to his discharge. Since I have now managed to find out the name of the regiment with which he served and also his regiment number, I was hoping to find out a little more about him. Until recently I had not known of the reasons leading to his discharge and when I discovered that one factor was the loss of one of his eyes it made more sense as to why he might have been hit by a motorbike during the second world war (of course, having not see it coming). Ideally, I would like to know where the records of the Liverpool Regiment are now kept as I understand the regiment was dissolved in the 1950s.

Many thanks,

Henning Walker

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Liverpool Regiment Records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 May 15 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Henning,
You could try the Liverpool Scottish Regimental Museum.
www.liverpoolscottish.org.uk
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 May 15 20:02 BST (UK) »
Which Liverpool Regiment? There was The Kings`  Liverpool Regt and The Liverpool Scottish.
I`m not very good with army units but records are available, albeit some were burned during WW2
when the storage building was bombed.
Go back through old posts and you will find info on 2nd /&7th  Kings`Liverpool Regt.
Best of luck.  Viktoria.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 May 15 09:36 BST (UK) »
The Liverpool Scottish was only one of many battalions within the Liverpools.

As you have his discharge certificate it should give his battalion and number. Posting these will greatly assist your research

The regiment lives on as part of the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment

Ken

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.