Author Topic: McLane in Oregon from Cuba and married to Native American, how to find out more?  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Kateryan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George McLane

Birth abt 1820 in Cuba
Death in Oregon

Married Susan who is listed "Indian" in census and daughter Elizabeth

I'm very interested in his story as it must have been a good one to have him go from Cuba to Oregon. I'd also like to find out more about his wife but I'm not sure how. Any ideas?

Offline knort33

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: McLane in Oregon from Cuba and married to Native American, how to find out more?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 20:56 BST (UK) »
What date of death do you have for him and in what city/state did his death occur?  That will be the breakthrough clue that could lead to additional information about his wife.

knort33

Offline Kateryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McLane in Oregon from Cuba and married to Native American, how to find out more?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 21:49 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I have not been able to find much on them. I have no dates of death for either of them. The best information I have is the 1860 Census, which just lists him, wife Susan and daughter Elizabeth. I just manage to trace his daughter's death so I've ordered her death certificate to see if it will have any more useful information.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
This is the family you are referring to

Portland, Multnomah, Oregon 1860

E Willis  24
Geo McLane  40 Born Cuba. Restauranteur.
Susan McLane  30 Born Oregon. (Native Indian)
Lizzie McLane  6 Born Oregon.
Jon Banks  41
Edwd Bakeman  30
Jas Brady  30

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MDQJ-R3G

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Couldn't see them on census for 1870 but this could be George - Portland, Oregon, City Directory, 1873/74 - George McLane - Cook - St Charles Hotel.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Kateryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Yes that's them. I have the 1860 Census, the directory for 1873 and 1874 which list him as a cook and a couple of military listings at Fort Drum but that's it. His daughter Elizabeth I have in the 1880 census but I cannot find them in the 1870 census or before the 1860 census.