Author Topic: Mole-Catcher as a profession  (Read 10477 times)

Offline pelirroja

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mole-Catcher as a profession
« on: Saturday 16 May 15 20:37 BST (UK) »
My grandfather, James Renwick (1890-1976), immigrated to the U.S. in 1913.  Before he left Scotland, he lived in the town of Denholm and was a mole-catcher.  His father William Johnstone Renwick (1837-1938) also listed his profession as a mole-catcher.  Furthermore, I have traced other Renwick family members in the Borders region who worked as mole-catchers.  This goes as far back as the late 1700s.  Does anyone know how a mole-catcher could enough money to support a family and where would he work?  What equipment would he use?  I have never seen trapping moles as a job.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mole-Catcher as a profession
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 May 15 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi pelirroja,

there are a couple of RootsChat topics about molecatchers here (including some and superstitions about moles)

Rootschat Reference Library,
http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/reflib-lexicon.php?letter=M

regards,
Bob

ps, a tip: the topics are longer than 1 page, so just click on the "print" button. They won't actually get printed, but they will be shown all together on one browser page.

pps.
as there are new facts and new links on this topic, I have added it to the Reference Library :)
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 May 15 20:49 BST (UK) »
There are still people working as mole catchers in my part of the world.  Some of them combine it with other agricultural odd jobbery, but would define themselves as mole catchers on a census.

Edit - here are some of the local ones 

http://www.mole-catcher.co.uk/mole-trapping.php?county=Cumbria

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 May 15 21:14 BST (UK) »
www.guildofbritishmolecatchers.co.uk/traps-ancient-and-modern.html

In the winter of 1903/1904 molecatchers were getting sixpence a skin as a result of the fashion of the day. By August 1904 the price had fallen 80%.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 May 15 21:30 BST (UK) »
The Abergavenny Chronicle, 13 Oct 1916

A mole catcher has been granted temporary exemption (from call up) on the ground that his work is of national importance

Offline pelirroja

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 May 15 00:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you to all of you who replied to my query about mole-catchers.  I certainly learned a great deal about the profession of my ancestors and some of the odd superstitions about moles.  I also didn't know about the RootsChat library.  It was fun!

Bev

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 May 15 02:10 BST (UK) »

My great great grandfather James Whammond born 1808. Aberlemno, Forfar, died 28 Dec 1888, Kirriemuir, Forfar, was also a Scottish mole catcher. Whether he was employed by an estate or he was freelance working for any customer who needed his services I do not know. Unusual name, unusual occupation.

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 May 15 21:10 BST (UK) »
Pellirrooja. I still have a local friend who is a Dry Stone Dyker and Mole catcher freelance and works mainly on the local Border Golf courses and farmers..He is 82 and still wont retire. In bye gone days they hung the dead moles on the field wire fence to show the farmers how many they caught and how much money they were due. Some people still collect the mole hill earth for their gardens .He originally was registered to use poison from the local chemist but now only uses mole traps set into their runs.Farmers dont like them on their land as apparantly they transmit disease to animals.
A dying breed thats for sure
alan
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline pelirroja

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 May 15 16:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the additional information.  It is all interesting.  I'm using all the comments, facts and superstitions about mole-catchers to create a document to add to my Scottish genealogy.