Author Topic: LEES, Alexander and McKECHNIE, Isabella, Stonehaven and Skateraw  (Read 5601 times)

Offline lynnungarian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LEES, Alexander and McKECHNIE, Isabella, Stonehaven and Skateraw
« on: Saturday 16 May 15 21:09 BST (UK) »
Alexander and Isabella were my great Grandparents.  I am trying to find a living relative in Scotland who I could share information with. Alexander (1855-1928) married Isabella (1856-1902) in 1879.  They had nine children:  1. Alexander (1879-1907) single, lost at sea, 2. Christina (1881-1936) married George CHRISTIE, children George, Margaret and Alexander William 3. George (1883-1921) single, 4.Mary Jane (1885-1974) married David MOIR, children Alexander, David and ?Evie?  5. William Christie (1888-1948) married Margaret WATSON, 6. Isabella (1891-1959) married Charles MARSHALL, 7. Elspet (1893-1963) married John WOOD, 8.David (1895-1974) married Jane ANDERSON, 9. Andrew (1897-1929).single.  George, David, Isabella and Andrew immigrated to Loyalist, Alberta, Canada.  The other 5 children remained in Scotland, in the Stonehaven/Aberdeen area.  In 1903 Alexander married Jane Melville LEES (his very distant "cousin").  Alexr. and Jane had three children:  James (1905-1928) Robert (b.1906) and Margaret (b.1911).  Jane had an illegitimate son, Alexander, born 1882 (who also immigrated to Alberta, Canada).  Alexander Sr., Isabella McKECHNIE, Jane LEES and James are buried in St. Mary of the Storms, Cowie,  I have much information on the Canadian side of the family to share.  My goal is to find a living descendant of one or more of the above.  All help will be most appreciated.
Kind regards,
Lynn
FIFE: Anderson, Melville, Watson, Smith, Black, Gay, Lees.  KINCARDINE: Lees, Craig, McKechnie, Adam, Christie, Wood, Moir. Also, Anderson of PERTH, McKechnie of ARGYLL.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: LEES, Alexander and McKECHNIE, Isabella, Stonehaven and Skateraw
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 May 15 21:53 BST (UK) »
Lynn

May I ask where the BMD's came from?  Have you looked for your family at Scotland's People  http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk to acquire copies of the actual records to verify the dates?

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline lynnungarian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 May 15 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Don.
I have used Scotland's People, as well as other resources, and all the BMD's are verified.  May I ask why you inquire?   Can you help me with my research?
Regards
Lynn
FIFE: Anderson, Melville, Watson, Smith, Black, Gay, Lees.  KINCARDINE: Lees, Craig, McKechnie, Adam, Christie, Wood, Moir. Also, Anderson of PERTH, McKechnie of ARGYLL.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 May 15 19:16 BST (UK) »
I'm related via marriage to the Melville's.

Looking at your family a few years back I acquired some of BMD's from SP and wasn't sure if you had them or not.  I do have one, that being Alexander's birth 27 JUL 1879 at King St., in Stonehaven he is identified as being illegitimate even though his parents are noted as Alexander Lees and Isabella McKechnie. 

If you wish a copy send me a PM, with your email and I'll send it your way.

Don

Offline lynnungarian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 May 15 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Don. 
I do have SP copies of BDM's for the lot of them. I would happily send you any copies you might be interested in.  As well, I have family photos I could send you.  This may be of interest to you ......  Alexander Jr. was lost at sea.  He was washed overboard while fishing, about 80 miles ESE off Stonehaven, and his body was never found.  There is a memorial to him appearing on the gravestone of his parents in St. Mary of the Storms in Cowie.  Sadly, it is almost impossible to read the name of the boat on the death record, but it does look like the 'Pioneer', which was owned by two MASSON brothers in Stonehaven.  Since the LEES family is also related to the MASSON family, we are presuming that this information is likely correct.
Now, for the MELVILLEs .....   I am actually related to the family through both of my maternal grandparents.  On my grandmother's  (Jane Melville ANDERSON) side - her father is Alexander Melville ANDERSON (1855-1917), a fisherman, and his parents were Robert ANDERSON (1822-1913), a shoemaker and Jane 'Jean' MELVILLE (1822-1891), all of Cellardyke, Fife. 
On my grandfather's side - not through blood, but marriage - my grandfather's father married a second time, to Jane Melville LEES (1866-1945), born in Cellardyke. Jane's  parents are Alexander LEES (1838-1898), a fisherman born in Stonehaven, and Mary MELVILLE (1830-1899), born in Cellardyke.  Jane MELVILLE and Mary MELVILLE are sisters.  How are you related to MELVILLE? 
One can't be too careful when giving out their email information, so please forgive me for being reluctant. Let's chat a bit more here and see where it goes.
Regards
Lynn

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 May 15 13:47 BST (UK) »
The Melville girls were the daughters of David Melville and Mary Galloway who were married in Kilrenny in 1819.  Their father Alexander had a sister Jean b 1789 who married Wm Robertson (my connection) , they had one daughter Mary who ended up in Glasgow and married into my line.  I am also related to the Melville/Isles family of Kirkcaldy.

Don

Offline jlmc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 May 19 16:20 BST (UK) »
It is quite a while since I last signed in to RootsChat and I just happened to find your interest in contacting living relatives.  Alexander Lees (Sailor's Alex) was my grandfather's cousin and his second wife was my grandmother's sister.  If you are still interested, perhaps we could get in touch.
Joan

Offline lynnungarian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Joan, (jlmc),
Wonderful to hear from you.  I am definitely very interested in connecting with my Scotland people.  My daughter and I are planning a (first time) trip to Scotland next year, so I guess I will be working overtime to find my "cousins" from Stonehaven.  I would very much like to meet them in person.  My grandfather, David Lees' siblings have all passed, of course, and so have their children I would guess.  But I hope descendants can be found - surely one still lives in the Stonehaven area.  I would appreciate any help you could give me. 
Looking forward to our chat,
Best Regards,
Lynn

Offline HeatherConnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 August 19 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Lynn, I've just come across your posts, and on first sight it looks like I may have some links to your families. I have Adams and Moirs, as well as other fishing families, latterly in Catterline, but going back to the other villages north and south. I have just been trawling through the census records for Catterline, and I will have a closer look at the folk you have mentioned, and see if I can make some connections.
Adam, Allan, Anderson, Barrett, Berry, Blues, Booth, Brodie, Brough, Bruce, Bullions, Butchart, Caithness, Cameron, Cargill, Cochrane, Craig, Doig, Black, Falconer, Fotheringham, Gavine, Gray, Lilburn, Lynn, Martin, McBay, McDonald, McKechnie, Melville, Menzies, Moir, Mudie, Murray, Myles, Pike, Proudfoot, Roberts, Rollo, Roy, Rutherford, Sandiman, Scott, Stephen, Stewart, Taylor, Thornton, Whyte.