Author Topic: ANDERSON, Alexander Melville and WATSON, Betsy, Cellardyke/Anstruther  (Read 5012 times)

Offline lynnungarian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ANDERSON, Alexander Melville and WATSON, Betsy, Cellardyke/Anstruther
« on: Saturday 16 May 15 21:31 BST (UK) »
Alexander and Betsy are my great-Grandparents.  My goal is to locate a living descendant of one or more of the following people.  I have much information to share.  Alexander Melville ANDERSON (1860-1917), a fisherman, married Betsy WATSON (1866-1941) in 1885.  Alexander was the son of Robert ANDERSON, a shoemaker and Jean MELVILLE.  Betsy was the daughter of Alexander Henderson WATSON and Janet Scott SMITH.  They had the following children:    1. Alexander Watson (1887-1963) married Elizabeth EASSON, child Elizabeth Scott,  2.  Janet Smith (1889-1958) married Alexander GAY, children Robert and Williamina, 3. Jane Melville (1891-1986) married David LEES, children Alexander Melville, Betty Watson and William Craig, 4. William (1895-1922) single, died of injuries sustained in WW1, 5. John Watson (1912-1988), married Helen Horsburgh, child Elaine.  All the children were born in Cellardyke and remained in the area except for Jane Melville, who immigrated to Alberta, Canada in 1926.  Alexander Sr. was lost at sea on March 17, 1917 when his fishing boat hit a mine off the coast of Anstruther.  Betsy, and their son, William, are buried in Kilrenny Churchyard.  Any and all help will be much appreciated.
Regards
Lynn
FIFE: Anderson, Melville, Watson, Smith, Black, Gay, Lees.  KINCARDINE: Lees, Craig, McKechnie, Adam, Christie, Wood, Moir. Also, Anderson of PERTH, McKechnie of ARGYLL.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Re: ANDERSON, Alexander Melville and WATSON, Betsy, Cellardyke/Anstruther
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 May 15 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn

I found your post here while looking for a reply to one of my own.

Although I'm not directly related to Alexander Melville Anderson, he is in the family tree through my daughter's ex-husband's line.  I only have him listed as Alexander M Anderson with his parents and five other siblings, so your information helps me "pad it out" a bit.

I think you may be lucky enough to find a living relative as there are plenty folk with all of the names you list in and around Cellardyke, Anstruther and the other towns/villages in the East Neuk of Fife.

Have you tried the BT phone book?  It's available on-line here http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publisha.content/en/index.publisha

It's worth a try  ;)

Cheers

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lynnungarian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 May 15 04:29 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, I will give that a try.
Kind regards
FIFE: Anderson, Melville, Watson, Smith, Black, Gay, Lees.  KINCARDINE: Lees, Craig, McKechnie, Adam, Christie, Wood, Moir. Also, Anderson of PERTH, McKechnie of ARGYLL.

Offline KJer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 October 15 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn,

I have been looking at your posts regarding Alexander Melville Anderson as he would have been my GG uncle... My GGG father was Robert Anderson ( m to Jean Melville) 

I have replied on the post re Elsie Christie/Anderson and am a little unclear if you will be notified. She was my Great Aunt.

I do hope you get in touch.

regards

Kirsty

Offline woodentop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 November 19 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Would it be possible to message the information on Anderson the shoemaker many thanks.
Treadwell, Lawrence, Ascott, Nosworthy, Sweet, Killick, Hand, woodman, Dane, Buckner, Hand, Shooe(Shove, Peto, St. John, Tilbes, Heyward, French, Smerdon.
Anderson, Dick, Erskine, Fife, Nicoll, Campbell, Finlay, Watt
Wood, Cox, Atkins, Drinkwater, Dancer, Trenley, Tyrell, Sexton, Brown, Clarke
R

Offline lynnungarian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 December 19 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello there, my apologies for the late reply.
The shoemaker, Robert ANDERSON, is my 2 x Great Grandfather.  He was born in Anstruther-Easter, Fife in 1822; the son of William ANDERSON (born in Abernathy, Perthshire in 1781) and Isobel BLACK (born in Anstruther Easter in 1792).  Robert married Jane MELVILLE in 1849, and my research, so far, shows they had 7 children, all born in Cellardyke, Fife.  Robert died in Cellardyke, Fife in 1913.
I hope this helps in some way.
Regards, Lynn

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 December 19 11:23 GMT (UK) »
I know that this is an old post but I see you have been online recently.

You have some good old East Neuk surnames in your family history. None of them directly related to me but there are a couple of facebook forums which may be helpful. They are closed groups.

1.  St Monans Forum and photo Gallery
2.  Old Photos & Family History of St Monans & its Folk.

The people on there are very helpful and you never know you may get lucky.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 December 19 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Just a point of interest but do you know who the parents were of the Elizabeth Easson who married Alexander Watson Anderson?

I see that they married in Buckhaven, Fife in 1913. Curious because the surname of Easson from that area appears in my family tree.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 December 19 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Easson was one of the St. Monans Eassons, daughter of William Easson, fisherman, and Elizabeth Scott. So no obvious connection to Buckhaven. It was fairly common in the late 19th century for a couple from the East Neuk to have an "away-day" for their wedding, and as they couldn't afford to go to Las Vegas or the Maldives, it would be somewhere like Dunino, Cameron or Buckhaven, or maybe Edinburgh.

Harry