Author Topic: Elizabeth Scott Morris  (Read 2335 times)

Offline SWH1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Scott Morris
« on: Sunday 17 May 15 19:50 BST (UK) »
I think am on the right lines with this lady but unsure. During ww1 she worked in France as an orderly. Her personal file say she was living in "Broadlry Crail" around 1917-1918. I can find her on ancestry as being born in 1887-88 and there seems to be  a photo of her headstone saying death was 1925. Any other information on her would be welcomed..

Alan 

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Scott Morris
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 May 15 20:05 BST (UK) »
If you have access to Ancestry there is a tree with information if this is the same person
Elizabeth Scott Morris father George Wilson Spence Morris ..Mother Cecelia Forbes Scott
The photo of the grave stone says wife of Rev John Warnock

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 May 15 20:09 BST (UK) »
Marriage of Rev John Warnock to Elizabeth Scott Morris -

6 Oct 1924, United Free Church, Crail, Fife, Scotland

How sad to think Elizabeth died after only one year of marriage.

Info source - online tree

JJ

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 May 15 12:59 BST (UK) »
I would be interested to know more about Elizabeth's war service. My mother was from Crail and I was born in my granny's house in the Nethergate. Elizabeth's parents George Wilson Spence Morris and Cecelia Forbes Scott were married in the Nethergate on 25th November 1875, and Cecelia's sister Elizabeth D. Scott also married John Nicolson there, same day, same place. The first marriage was a Baptist one, the second was Free Church, and the two marriage certificates are adjacent in the Crail marriages register.
   George Morris was a fish-curer and his father Robert Morris was a grocer and fish-curer in the High Street. Robert Morris's wife Amelia Lindsay Spence was the daughter of George Spence, ploughman, and Janet Wilson, and if my researches are correct, George Spence was a brother of my 4 x great-grandmother Penelope "Penny" Spence (Mrs. William Dewar). The Spences were originally from Kingsbarns.

Harry

Offline SWH1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 May 15 10:18 BST (UK) »
Harry, there is not a huge amount on her war time..  In June 1918 Elizabeth joined the SWH as an orderly and traveled to Sallanches, Haute-Savoie, France. Elizabeth worked at the Elsie Inglis Hospital for the Serbs.The hospitals was based at the used “Grand hotel Michollin” and operated from Feb1918-March 1919. Primarily to help Serbian boys suffering from Tuberculosis a huge problem in Serbia at the end of the war. Elizabeth left the hospital in December 1918, she was awarded the British war medal, the victory medal and the French Red Cross medal.

I do have photos of the hospital and some of the staff.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 May 15 12:55 BST (UK) »
You can read a bit about Elsie Inglis here -

http://historycompany.co.uk/2014/02/06/the-legacy-of-elsie-inglis-edinburghs-shame/

A Cellardyke skipper called Jimmy Wilson was awarded the Serbian Gold Medal for service in drifters in the Adriatic in the winter of 1915-16.

Harry

Offline SWH1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 May 15 14:35 BST (UK) »
Any links to the Cellardyke man?  sounds interesting.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 May 15 20:13 BST (UK) »
My information came from the "East of Fife Record" of January 24, 1918, and I quoted it in my book "Kilrenny and Cellardyke: 800 Years of History", published in 1986 by John Donald Ltd.

At the time of the award, Jimmy Wilson was a prisoner-of-war -

"The medal has just been received by the Admiralty from the Serbian authorities, notwithstanding the lapse of time since the event took place. Skipper Wilson had been serving fully two years before he was taken prisoner … he has four other brothers serving."

Another Cellardyke skipper, David Watson, was awarded the Serbian Gold Medal, the Italian Medal for Valour and the French Croix de Guerre.

Harry