Author Topic: Where Margaret McCallum and Peter Shields married  (Read 2859 times)

Offline saskgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where Margaret McCallum and Peter Shields married
« on: Sunday 17 May 15 22:17 BST (UK) »
I think some time between 1875 and 1895.  Can anyone tell me where they were married and the date if possible. 
Peter born 1836 Died Canada 1914 Margaret born 1864 died 1931
Thank you for any help you can give us.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where Margaret McCallum and Peter Shields married
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 May 15 22:24 BST (UK) »
Have you tried looking for the marriage on Scotland's People site? (you can view the actual record there)

You could also try tracking them through Canadian and Scottish census records, passenger lists, etc. to narrow down the date a good bit further before spending credits doing Scotland People's searches

Added- see you've already another topic other topics looking for details-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=720480.msg5642830#msg5642830
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=659033.msg5046797#msg5046797
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where Margaret McCallum and Peter Shields married
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 May 15 12:57 BST (UK) »
    On the first listed of the older topics begun in 2013 and still going May 2015, we concluded it likely that:
    • Margaret was Peter's second wife, and she was obviously much his junior.
    • Peter's first wife was Helen Ross, who appears to have died in 1874 (SP death index entry)
    • Margaret was born, according to the Canadian Census etc. around July 1864.
    • Margaret's maiden name 'McCALLUM" is from notes left by Saskgirl's  mum, who also said Margaret was born 1864 Stranraer, Wigtonshire (noting this is the same place that wife 1, Helen was apparently born).

Hi Saskgirl,

Margaret wouldn't have been marrying in 1875 when she was only about 11. I'd doubt she was married much before 1880. In fact, we have what appears to be Peter on the 1881 Scottish Census - in Bonhill, Dunbartonshire with his adult & minor children, but not with a new wife (you'd still need to check the actual record on SP to see if he was listed here as a widower).

Margaret also probably wouldn't be marrying in Scotland after 1891. She's in Canada by then with Peter...the Canada Census of 1891 has her age 26 (in Saskatchewan).

She and Peter's first known child together is not yet born in that Census 1891 (he's age 9 on the 1901 Canada Census).  The various Canada Census appear to indicate Peter & Margaret both immigrated  to Canada around 1889.

SP:
My SEARCH1)
1 x Peter SHEILDS married in all Scotland between 1881 & 1891.
It was in 1883 to a woman named Margaret CRIGHTON. Not in Dumbarton or Wigtown.

My SEARCH1)
'Marg* McC*LL*M married all Scotland between 1881 & 1891 to a spouse with surname  'Sh*'.
Results: 0

I understand Saskatchewan vital records are no so easy to come by, but  have you been able to verify Margaret's maiden name from the records of any of her children for example?

Cheers
AMBLY[/list]
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)