Author Topic: Frazer family of Seaton Sluice  (Read 2923 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frazer family of Seaton Sluice
« on: Monday 18 May 15 08:30 BST (UK) »
I am doing some research for an elderly neighbour who knows very little about his family history. The census has shown me his father's family all came from Seaton Sluice and Seaton Lodge. The earliest one was William Frazer, born in Alnwick, his parents being Robert Frazer and Ann Patterson. William was a shoemaker, but his sons later worked as miners.
Can anybody take me further back than this?
I have seen the excellent Seaton Sluice local history site, by the way, and will use the link to show my neighbour the pictures. Congratulations to them on their hard work!
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frazer family of Seaton Sluice
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 May 15 08:40 BST (UK) »
Could you provide some dates (ages on census etc) to narrow it down please?

Boo

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 May 15 09:07 BST (UK) »
Sorry Boo. This is what I have so far.

1799 15 September William Frazer senior born. Father Robert Frazer and mother Ann Patterson
1841 Census William Frazer senior was living at Seaton Sluice with his wife Jane.
1851 Census William and Jane Frazer were living with William’s parents at Seaton Sluice. They were William senior (b. 1800) was a boot and shoemaker employing four men, one of them evidently his son, and Mary (b. 1802). William senior was born in Alnwick and Mary in Seaton Lodge.
1861 Census John Shield Frazer aged 12 living with parents in Seaton Lodge. Parents William (b. 1825) and Jane (b. 1827). William was a shoemaker, born in Seaton Sluice but his wife Jane was born in Chester le Street.
1871 Census John Shield Frazer aged 12 living with parents in Seaton Lodge. John was an apprentice in a bottle works.
1881 Census John Shield Frazer aged 22 living with parents in Seaton Lodge. Born Seaton Lodge. John was a coal miner. 2 brothers and 3 sisters. One brother was a colliery blacksmith.
1891 October Robert born Seaton Sluice, Delavel, Northumberland. Father John Shield Frazer (b. 1859) and mother Catherine Isabella Frazer (b. 1859). Siblings William Mark (b. 1885), Charles Henry (b. 1887), Mary Ann (b. 1889), Winifred Isabella (b. 1896), John Donald (b. 1900). Everyone including parents born at Seaton Sluice.
1901 Census Robert aged 9 living with parents. Address in 1901: 54 Clarence Street, Seaton Sluice. 
1911 Census aged 19 living with parents. Working as a joiner. Address in 1911: West Terrace, Seaton Sluice. 1914 5 October Robert enlists at Newcastle.
1917 Part of Charles Henry’s war service record survives, showing that he was wounded in 1917
1925 Robert marries Helen R Dennier1966 26 January Robert dies.
1934 12 July John Shield Frazer dies.

Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 May 15 10:43 BST (UK) »
Baptism for William  Frazor 15/9/1799 Alnwick Northumberland
Birth date 27/8/1799
Father Robert Frazor
Mother Ann Patterson

Maybe a marriage for this couple
Robert Frazor
Ann Patterson 22/5/1796
St James Shilbattle Northumberland

Offline pckl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 May 15 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hello -

Mary (b.1802), the mother of William Frazer (b. 1825) is a distant aunt of mine. Her maiden name was Mary Sharp, and she was the daughter of William Sharp and Ruth Hedley. The Sharps lived at Seaton Sluice also. William and Ruth Sharp were my 4x Great Grandparents. William was from Bothal, Northumberland but Ruth was from Stannington, although I haven't been able to find much on the latter.

Mary Sharp was baptised on 31 July 1802 at Earsdon, and according to this, was born on 11 May 1801.

Mary Sharp and William Frazer were married at St Nicholas, Newcastle upon Tyne on 22 June 1823.

Apart from this I don't know much I'm afraid. I do have their children on my tree, which included a daughter named Ruth Sharp Frazer.

I hope this is of some help to you and your neighbour   :D

Regards,
pckl

LESLIE, McLEAN, CARROLL, RICHMOND, GALLIGAN, DUFFY, McCOMBS, ARCHIBALD, DYKES
STOREY, METCALF, MAVIN, KNOX, RENNER, HALL, STEEL, KEITH/McKEITH, MILLS, ROBINSON, BROWN, DAVISON, WIDDRINGTON, POTTS, JOHNSON
QUINNIN, RUDD, COYLE, BARRASS, SANDERSON, TURNBULL, GLOVER, CLEMENTSON, MAUGHAN, HUNTER, HEMPSEED, BRUCE/BREWIS
HARBERTSON, TAYLOR, SHARP, ERRINGTON, RIDDLE, HINDMARCH/HYMAS

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 May 15 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie and pckl!

Many thanks to you both for your response. Pckl, I am sure it will be a great thrill for my neighbour to find he has a distant relative and that they have contributed to this research.

With best wishes
queencorgi

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 May 15 01:05 BST (UK) »
Thought you might like the full detail from William's baptism record

"born 27th August 1799, 4th son of Robert Frazer of Rugley Barns, Husbandman, native of the parish of Whittingham by his wife Ann Patterson native of the parish of Chatton"

Christine

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 May 15 07:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you! A moment's research shows me that a husbandman was 'a free tenant farmer with a social status below that of yeoman'!