Author Topic: Norman NORGREN alias Henry WILSON (ancestry.com.au)  (Read 6500 times)

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Norman NORGREN alias Henry WILSON (ancestry.com.au)
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 11:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your pointers.

From his NAA records, "Celestine Houlgrave", state children's department, Adelaide, was Norman's NOK on enlistment - unclear why, as both his parents appear to be still living in 1920.
Norman attended Eden Park Boys’ Home, near Mount Barker SA [The Mount Barker Courier and Onkaparinga and Gumeracha Advertiser (Mount Barker SA) 23 December 1921 p2, http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/146431508].  It was a probationary school at the time [http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/ref/sa/biogs/SE01229b.htm#related] and it's likely joining the Navy was a way out.  I suspect Norman didn’t have any contact with his family.  Some terrible things seemed to have occurred at Eden Park over the years.

So there were definitely Norgren relatives in NSW - and despite the fact that "Johan Norgren" doesn't appear to have died until 1937 in SA, Elizabeth Hammond may have been going by another name over in NSW (cannot find a marriage to a Mr Neale, either) ... I would suggest you look to see if you can find what happened to Elizabeth.
Elizabeth HAMMOND/NORGREN died as Elizabeth NEALE in Prince Henry Hospital, Little Bay NSW on 22 February 1937 [NSW Government death registration (NSW BDM): 588/1937, Redfern district, as “Elizabeth NEALE”, parents: Joseph and Mary.  Death notice: Sydney Morning Herald 23 February 1937 p10, aged 65 years, husband of William James NEALE, http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/27989143].

any witnesses at the marriage of Henry Wilson who might be connected to the Norgren family in NSW.
No witnesses on his side, only Mary Jane CARR’s family.
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 11:22 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth nee HAMMOND's second marriage was recorded with the surname MORGAN.  Walter John NEALE, single aged 44, and Elizabeth MORGAN widow aged 48, daughter of Joseph HAMMOND. In Registry Office Adelaide on 23 Dec 1919. Reg 281/1051. 
I reckon you found it!  MORGAN sounds suspiciously like NORGREN.  The age and father match.  I knew from family notices she must have married a NEALE sometime between July 1918 and March 1924.  I hadn’t been able to find a marriage.  Causes a problem though for me, now I have a Walter John and a William James NEALE (see last post)!
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline Illara

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 28 May 18 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there!

I just wanted to give you an update:
Everything you have posted above is indeed correct. Henry Wilson IS Norman Norgren.

All 9 of Johan and Elizabeth's children grew up in South Aust State care, I believe as destitute's.  My guess is Norman was sent off to the army at 16 to 'off-load him' to another departments care. Obviously, he did not like being in the army so went AWOL. Could also be the reason for his name change.

Stanley, one of the twins is my grandfather. From all accounts, he ran away from care and headed to NT and became a labourer, stockman and saddler (was in business with RM Williams for a time).

I received a transcript for an illegitimate birth to Alice May Norgren (Stanley's sister) and the informant was C Houlgrave. Seen that name before (Norman's army record)!! He is Celestine Houlgrave, Secretery to State Children's department 1917-1926.

Anyway, I wanted to touch base and say hi.  I am heading off to the Records office in SA soon, so hope to have some extra info to share.

:) Illara

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 01:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Illara - we are third cousins once removed! Johann Heinrich ("Henry") FULLGRABE (1810-1884) and Johanne Caroline Louise ENGELKE (1817-1887) will be our common ancestors. I'll send you a PM.  Craig