Author Topic: Brick wall! Duncan Campbell and Nancy McNaughtan  (Read 7385 times)

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brick wall! Duncan Campbell and Nancy McNaughtan
« on: Tuesday 19 May 15 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi
   My 3Gt Grandmother was Margaret Campbell b 1775  died 1855 . she married Peter McKellar in Dunoon 7 Dec 1797. Her death certificate in 1855 gives Duncan Campbell and Nancy McNaughtan as her parents.She was living at Coul farm Glenfinart Argyll and buried at Lochgoilhead
   I beleive that this is Cuil that was situated near Barnacabber which was the home farm for the Glenfinart Estate.
  I have a contact who has a 4Gt Grandfather  James Campbell b 1773 Lochgoilhead with parents Duncan Campbell and Nancy Naughtan as parents.Also buried at Lochgoilhead. At one period he was also living at Coul.

We cannot find any trace of the Duncan Campbell or Nancy (Mc)Naughtan in the Scotlandspeople records.
  It is obvious that these two, Margaret and James were brother and sister and that it is likely that they came from the Lochgoilhead area.
  I would appreciate any help in finding the Duncan Campbell and Nancy , very likely married about 1770.
 Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Brick wall! Duncan Campbell and Nancy McNaughtan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    I should add that I, and my contact are in Australia, we are limited to the internet for searching. There could very well be other sources in Scotland that would provide some information  in relation to Duncan Campbell and Nancy (Mc)Naughtan.
   In both instances our information has come from the death certificates for Margaret and James.
   We are aware that Nancy might be Ann/Annie or Agnes.
Wyanga
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 July 15 03:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
   We have the details from Margaret McKellar nee Campbell 's death certificate in 1855 that she was aged 80 and her parents were Duncan Campbell and Nancy McMaughtan.
   We have a baptism for a Margaret Campbell at Lochgoilhead with father Duncan Campbell and mother Agnes Mckoel 29th Oct 1775.

This date would be about correct to be our Margaret Campbell.
   I have been told that the name Nancy was often used by those named Agnes , Ann or Annie.
 My question is could the name Mckoel also be interchangeable with McNaughtan ?
  I would appreciate if anyone could assist with information on naming patterns from the 1770's period.
  Wyanga

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 July 15 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Wyanga

There are surnames that have disappeared over time, with the name morphing into something else over time. People often make refs to Clans etc and the reason why a surname changed. Not sure. My Highland family of MacDonalds were originally MacIsaac and in the early to mid 1800s moved to MacDonald (I can follow history for this name change at that time).

I found this on the surname you have:

MACCOEL: A family named McCoel, McCeol, or McKoel, seem to have pronounced their name McCoal."This name and its varied spellings occur extensively in the Lochgoilhead Parish Records from 1695 to 1770, when it ceases altogether. It was at one time common in Kilmorich Parish.
http://forebears.co.uk/surnames/mccoal

More work needed for sure...

Monica  :)

PS: Adding this link on previous info for background www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=693856.9
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 July 15 21:18 BST (UK) »
Re first name variants, I think this is my all time favourite site for this, with a strong Scottish bias:

www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=Nancy

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 July 15 22:47 BST (UK) »
Monica
          What you are saying makes a lot of sense.
  your reference
 MACCOEL: A family named McCoel, McCeol, or McKoel, seem to have pronounced their name McCoal."This name and its varied spellings occur extensively in the Lochgoilhead Parish Records from 1695 to 1770, when it ceases altogether. It was at one time common in Kilmorich Parish.
   This would explain why the name Agnes McKeol has dissappeared. I have found that it is a Sept name from the MacNaughtaon clan , so it is possible that that name was adopted by the family in later years.
   In the familysearch link you have also provided me with siblings for our Margaret . I will have to check with my collegue who has a James Campbell with father Duncan Campbell and mother Nancy Naughtan , i think from his death certificate his birth date should be 1773.

Congratulations you have provided me with a glimmer of light on this family.
  Wyanga

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 July 15 02:54 BST (UK) »
Monica
            Your link to Familysearch has provided 9 children for Duncan Campbell and Agnes / Anne Mckoel.
    If the Mckoel name did pass out of useage in late 1770 then it would seem to be reasonable to assume that those family members may have adopted the clan name McNaughtan or variations of it in subsequent years.
   The death certificates that we are looking at are 80 years later so most likely reflect that change.
 We have a James Campbell with Parents Duncan Campbell and Nancy Naughtan that we believe must be of the same family but he is not included in the familysearch Christenings, but there are no children recorded from 1771 to 1775. From his death certificate he would have been born 1773 .
    Again it would be reasonable to assume that for some reason his christening may have been missed in the transcriptions . This would make 10 children in the family and solve our dilemma in making our records  " fit ".
   Thank you very much Monica for your assistance.

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 July 15 05:04 BST (UK) »
I have found the marriage for Duncan Campbell and Agnes Mckoel on the 19th Jul 1757

It gives that Duncan was the son of Donald Campbell and was of Gan'nan Beg.
Is that a place name or an abbreviation for one?
  Agnes McKoel was the daughter of John Mckoel decesed, late tennant of Craig.
 I would appreciate any help with those place names. I assume they must be in Lochgoilhead Parish.
 Wyanga