Author Topic: Grant Family - Contin  (Read 17782 times)

Offline Poodlz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grant Family - Contin
« on: Tuesday 19 May 15 02:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to trace more information of the Grants in Contin.  I have my Gt, Gt Grandfather Donald Grant married Agnes Tait and have census records 1851, 1861, 1871 & 1881.  My Gt Grandfather William came to New Zealand with his brother Andrew and we have all their family records.  We also have Jessie Grant who married John Roderick Aitken, but we can't find some of the other children; especially Lachlan.  Lachlan came to New Zealand at some stage and we have found his son James Aitken Alexander Grant born 1905 here in NZ.  We are not certain, but think Simon Grant may have gone to Australia.  Information found on a web site here in NZ: Grants of Willowbank, Temuka & Elloughton gives us some confirmation of our research.  In that article it also mentions William's cousin Simon McKenzie who came to NZ from Australia and we have found his family here in NZ but can't find the trace of him in Scotland i.e. parents.  We believe his family went to Australia and had a cattle/sheep station and he then came to NZ.  We have found Andrew Grant's son William Thomas Grant died in 1945 in Gunnedah, NSW so whether this is/was around where the McKenzie's settled we don't know, but would be grateful for help.  Obviously there is a strong tie between the Grants & McKenzie's which would suggest that my Gt Gt Grandfather's sister married a McKenzie??
Would be grateful for any information that can be traced.
Cheers

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Grant Family - Contin
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Poodlz,

There is a birth record showing on family search for Simon MacKenzie, 8 April 1858, parents Alexander MacKenzie & Janet Grant in Contin.  But Contin is in Ross & Cromarty, not Inverness shire.

If this is the right person for you, perhaps the post could be moved to the Ross & Cromarty board?

brigau

Offline Poodlz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 21:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply - not so familiar with the counties of Scotland - Census records in some state Inverness-shire!  If my message can be moved to Ross Cromarty - how do I do that?

Simon was married in New Zealand in 1894 so not too sure if this marriage would fit - would need to find his birth?  The other connections would be to find Janet Grant's parents??

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 22:05 BST (UK) »
But Poodlz, that record was for Simon MacKenzie's birth in 1858 so it's perfectly feasible for him to marry in NZ in 1894.

Don't worry about moving the post, a moderator will do it if thought appropriate.  I just pointed out the location of Contin for clarification.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 22:12 BST (UK) »
There were Grants in Jamestown near Contin, I came across them when looking up my own Grant's in Urray parish.

Skoosh.

Offline Poodlz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 06:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Br1gau, In my morning stupor I thought it was Marriage.  Finding it hard to verify birth as I can't find a death in New Zealand - they must have gone back to Australia, all their children were born here!

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 11:59 BST (UK) »
Poodlz,  found this stuff on the Contin Grant's,

Deaths,

William Grant, farmer, 82, Jamestown,  1857, f.Colin Grant, m.Margaret Tulloch, inf' Alexander Grant, son.
Murdo Grant, 18 mth, Gherbad, 18 Aug'1858, f,John Grant, shepherd, m.Janet Finlayson.
Colin Grant, drapers apprentice, 18, Jamestown,1859, f.Donald Grant, crofter, inf, m.Ann Cameron
Alexander Grant, labourer,76, Clachuil, 13 Dec'1860, f.Alexander Grant,  teacher, m.Janet Ross, inf' Colin Grant, nephew.
Colin Grant, merchant, 67, Arcan, Urray, 26 Jan'1860, f.Kenneth Grant, farm servant, m.Catherine MacDonald, inf' Kenneth Grant, son.
Catherine Grant, schoolmistress, 81, Clachuil, 10 Dec'1860, f.Alexander Grant, teacher, m.Janet Ross. inf' Colin Grant.
Jean Grant, Redfield, Allangrange, Knockbain, f.John Grant, labourer & Jean MacDonald, inf' Alexander Grant, uncle.

Births,

Catherine Grant, dau' of Alexander Grant, society schoolmaster & Isobel Ross, Fairburn, Urray, b.2 Dec'1781.
Kenneth Grant, son of Alpin Grant & Janet Fraser, Milbuie, b.24 Dec'1781.
Elizabeth Grant, dau' of Alexander Grant & Isobel Mathieson, Arcan, Urray, b.28 Mar'1778.
Duncan Grant son of John Grant & Grizzel Beaton, in Kinloch Ussie, b.Feb'1778.
Donald Grant, son of Donald Grant & Isobel Kennedy, Arcan, Urray, b.4 Feb'1777.
Alexander Grant, son of Alpin Grant & Janet Fraser, Muir of Tarradale, Urray, b.25 Oct'1776.
William Grant, son of Alexander Grant, schoolmaster & Isobel Ross, Fairburn, Urray, b.25 Jun'1775.
John Grant, son of Alexander Grant & Mary Mackenzie, Barnyards, b.26 Oct'1774.
Roderick Grant, son of John Grant & Grizzel Beaton, Loch Ussie, b.29 Sep'1774.

1871 Census, Urray,

Ann Grant, widow, 59, Arcan, b. Urray, Kenneth Grant, son,39, unmarried, b.Urray, Colina Grant, dau' 20, unmarried, Balbraid, b.Urray.

Hope this rings a bell somewhere,

Skoosh.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hello both,

Skoosh, I grant you, that's an awful lot of Grants!

Poodlz,

This is the family group I referred to.  The records are from family search, but I can’t find a definitive census for them.

Alexander MacKenzie m. Janet Grant 22 Aug 1842 Fodderty, R&C
Children:
Simon b. 8 Apr 1858 Contin
Mary 6 Oct 1860 Urray
Lachlan b. 2 Mar1864 Lochbroom

Since then I had a look at the website referred to in your first post and notice that Simon McKenzie was a second cousin to William & Andrew.  There is also this:

Simon Grant McKENZIE owned Raincliff from 1920 to 1926. He purchased Clayton Station 30th July 1925 for his three sons and then sold Raincliff.  Simon was born in Australia and came across to Canterbury in the 1880s and started buying up land and stock at a time when the very depressed prices of the time were on the rise. He was related to William Grant who worked with him.  They had previously owned stations in the Mackenzie and Simon had interests in four stations in Queensland, Australia.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nzlscant/raincliff.htm

So this points to a birth in Australia but I cannot find one, or say how reliable this article is, but BEWARE of Simon Grant McKenzie of Ballarat, VIC, apparently a shepherd born Ross shire ca1829, who married Ann Cameron 1850 VIC; a different person altogether!

And from the Australian newspapers:
TOURIST AREAS NOT SERIOUSLY AFFECTED.
That the earthquakes in New Zealand should not in any way interfere with the tourist traffic to that country was; the opinion expressed by Mr. Marcus Marks yesterday. Mr. Marks is the retired Government Printer of New Zealand, and the Government representative on various boards there. He was passing through by the steamer Talplng on his way to China, Japan, the Malay Peninsula, and Java. Accompanying him Is Mr. Simon Mackenzie, & well-known sheep station owner of the South Island. They left to-day tor Northern ports on the way to China.
[Brisbane Courier 22 Jun 1929]

brigau

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Not sure if you have these references, Poodlz, or how much information can be gleaned from a NZ death cert but the last entry for Simon Grant MacKenzie looks a fair match and points to a birth ca1858.

1947/18069   MacKenzie    Hugh Simon    75Y   
1952/33169   MacKenzie    Simon          65Y   
1941/28538   Mackenzie    Simon Grant   83Y

https://bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/search/