Author Topic: Grant Family - Contin  (Read 8234 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grant Family - Contin
« Reply #36 on: Friday 01 December 17 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Urray, I shall try sending you a PM as you've made enough posts to qualify.

Skoosh.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Alasdairmac21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 17 December 17 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Skoosh and urray. I have a connection to the Grants of Orrinside...

My great-grandmother Mary Cowan, and her sister Maggie Cowan, were both born 'illegitimately' in Maryhill Glasgow 1907 and 1906. In 1911 they were living with their grandfather Donald Cowan, originally from Southend, Argyll. By August 1914 they were admitted into Marybank school, and Miss C Grant of Orrinside is given as their guardian. I believe she is Catherine Grant, daughter of Roderick Grant and Anne Gray.

Mary Cowan grew up at Orrinside before getting married and settling in Cromarty. I don't really know why two girls from Glasgow, with Argyll relations, ended up at Orrinside. It appears they were fostered just as the First World War was starting. Their mother Maggie was still alive in 1932, married and working as a hospital nurse.

I just thought I'd share that with you in case you might be able to help fill in the gaps. Are you aware of Catherine Grant?

Alasdair

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Alasdair, Urray will probably know the answer to this story. Glasgow Corporation sent orphaned weans all over the Highlands for fostering or adoption.

Skoosh.

Offline Alasdairmac21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Skoosh. Iíll try contacting Glasgow City Archives for any advice they can give, but hopefully Urray knows something.