Author Topic: Grant Family - Contin  (Read 17947 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grant Family - Contin
« Reply #36 on: Friday 01 December 17 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Urray, I shall try sending you a PM as you've made enough posts to qualify.

Skoosh.

Offline Alasdairmac21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 17 December 17 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Skoosh and urray. I have a connection to the Grants of Orrinside...

My great-grandmother Mary Cowan, and her sister Maggie Cowan, were both born 'illegitimately' in Maryhill Glasgow 1907 and 1906. In 1911 they were living with their grandfather Donald Cowan, originally from Southend, Argyll. By August 1914 they were admitted into Marybank school, and Miss C Grant of Orrinside is given as their guardian. I believe she is Catherine Grant, daughter of Roderick Grant and Anne Gray.

Mary Cowan grew up at Orrinside before getting married and settling in Cromarty. I don't really know why two girls from Glasgow, with Argyll relations, ended up at Orrinside. It appears they were fostered just as the First World War was starting. Their mother Maggie was still alive in 1932, married and working as a hospital nurse.

I just thought I'd share that with you in case you might be able to help fill in the gaps. Are you aware of Catherine Grant?

Alasdair

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Alasdair, Urray will probably know the answer to this story. Glasgow Corporation sent orphaned weans all over the Highlands for fostering or adoption.

Skoosh.

Offline Alasdairmac21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Skoosh. I’ll try contacting Glasgow City Archives for any advice they can give, but hopefully Urray knows something.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 08 December 19 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Bit late to the party, but the place of death in the clip from the Timaru Herald is misspelled.

It will be Alltnacardoch, Lentran not Tentram, which does not exist.
See http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NH5845

Lentran is in the parish of Kirkhill and Lachlan Grant's death was registered in Kirkhill.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Sandy Sinclair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
During the current lockdown I've done a bit of searching for my mum's New Zealand relatives. My great grandfather's brother Joseph Ashwell, born 1859 in Lewisham London emigrated to New Zealand in 1878. In a letter home within a few days of his arrival he mentions a fellow passenger, a Scotsman named Grant.
He married a Cordelia Green and their daughter Cordelia Helen Ashwell married a Lachlan John Grant. I think his father was an Andrew Grant and grandfather Donald Grant. I think they emigrated to New Zealand from Ross and Cromarty.
During World War 1 two of Joseph and Cordelia's sons (Cordelia Grant's brothers)  served on the Western Front. Leslie Ashwell was wounded but returned to New Zealand. Sidney Herbert Ashwell died of wounds at Bagneux, Antony, Seine, France September 1918. Sidney had visited my mothers family on leave early in 1918 and made a great impression on my 7 year old mother.
My mother often talked about the Grants in New Zealand and how Cordelia sent parcels of treats from New Zealand. She was obviously very fond of the family in New Zealand as my elder brother has the middle name Grant. Unfortunately I didn't get details of the Grants before my mother died. But I think they lived in the Temuka? area of New Zealand. I think Lachlan and Cordelia had children named Andrew Ashwell,Lachlan Ashwell, Cordelia and Sidney Ashwell.
I have a PDF copy of the diary Joseph Ashwell kept during his voyage to New Zealand, my mother copied this document, the original must have gone to a different branch of the Ashwell family, that I'd like to pass on to a descendant of Joseph's if they don't already have a copy. As far as I'm aware the descendants of Lachlan and Cordelia are only survivors of Joseph Ashwell's children.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 23:12 BST (UK) »
Alasdair, did Urray explain who Catherine Grant was? Urray is better clued up on the family than myself as she lives locally. There were two Catherine's & the one you're after was indeed the daughter of Roderick Grant & Ann Gray, she registered his death in 1908. The other was a daughter of Murdo, one of the younger of Roderick's sons. My g't grandfather George was the oldest of that big family & moved to Glasgow. The Glasgow Fair saw the Grant's back in Orrinside, my lot went to Fearn to the Mackenzie's the first week & the Muir the second week. Where they all slept is a mystery?  ;D
 I have heard them talk about Maggie Cowan when I was young, did she not work at Strathpeffer & walk over to Aultgowrie on her days off?
 In March 1896 the steading was completely destroyed by fire, Roderick & his wife retired for the night when a labourer James Stewart, who had been staying at Orrinside when constructing drains in the district, arrived very late & spent the night in the steading. In the morning Mrs Grant went outside about seven to attend to the cows only to find the steading a blackened ruin & two cows & her husband's horse completely consumed. Roderick also discovered the body of James Stewart amongst the embers, his legs entirely burnt away. The Procurator, Chief Constable & Dr Adams concluded that the exact cause would never be known but as Stewart was a pipe-smoker it was likely he fell asleep in the straw which caught fire!

Fairburn Tower Project, the Cowan girls would have passed this every day going to school,

https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/support-us/projects-and-appeals/fairburn-tower-appeal/

Bests,
  Skoosh.

Offline Kgrant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 13 November 20 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandy I'm Andrew Grants gr gr gr great grandson Andrew and Williams came to New Zealand on the Eastern Empire in 1862 and landed in Lyttelton (christchurch) they worked on the Orari station before becoming wealthy land owners and stock dealers. I'm doing family research at the moment and have been in contact with the Ashwells and they would love a copy of your letter thats amazing you have them!

Offline Kgrant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 13 November 20 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi poodlz my name is Kelsey and my great ×4 grandfather is Andrew Grant, William Grant was born on Kirkan farm, in the parish of Contin, Ross-shire, Scotland, on 23rd September 1845, the son of Ann Tait and her husband, Donald Grant, a shepherd. With an older brother, Andrew, William set out for New Zealand in 1864 on the Eastern Empire, arriving at Lyttelton in January 1865, he was only 19 years of age. They had at least one border collie dog with them on board, and C.G. I'm only aware of John Andrew and William but I'm told Donald and Ann Tait had other children do you know anything about that?  I have loads of info on Andrews side of the family and this on Williams side.  Ellen and William GRANT
1885 Grant Donald d. 1950
1887 Grant Jessie d. 1888
1888 Grant Joy Elizabeth aka Ivy d. 1965
1890 Grant Robert Allan d. 1943
1895 Grant Andrew d. 1954
I also have ship records of them arriving in Lyttelton if you want them happy to help you and anyone else  :)