Author Topic: Researching my father's roots  (Read 2699 times)

Offline CarolineDuck

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Researching my father's roots
« on: Tuesday 19 May 15 06:21 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I began to research my father's roots earlier this year. He was born in Liverpool in February 1921 and was adopted at birth. His birth name was Alan Connor and he became James Alan Andrew Connor Bruce. So far I have been able to to trace his birth mother and have received his birth certificate. His mother's name was Edith Connor (it is spelt with an er on the birth certificate but I think she was illiterate and the transcriber misspelt her name). On the birth certificate it says her address was 13 Lancaster St Walton and my father was born in 107 Rice Lane Walton which I believe was the workhouse there is no other information on the certificate other than he was adopted. How do I find out any further information. I'm not sure where to go next. I believe she was only only young between the ages of 14 and 16. i would love to find out if she lived and if she had any other children which might be my ancestors. Thanks in anticipation, from Australia
Caroline Duck

Offline cyanda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Researching my father's roots
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 07:10 BST (UK) »
have you got Ancestry? if not all i can help you with is an Edith Connor being born around 1905 in Lancashire, England to a Christopher & Edith Connor( thats all i can see as my ancestry subcription has ended)

i hope you find what your looking for  :)
cyanda

Offline pjm99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 07:37 BST (UK) »
Caroline,
What Cyanda has told you is derived from the 1911 census. Even if she had access Ancestry T & Cs prevent us from providing details from 1911 census. I'm afraid you need to access it yourself.
HTH
Peter
Allen, Brown, West - Berkshire
Caesar, Dicker, Lamden, West - Hampshire
Hicks, Martin, Masters - Kent, Middlesex
Hancox/Hancock/Hancocke - Warwickshire
Gardner - Devon
Traylen - Essex & Jersey

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 08:30 BST (UK) »
 "workhouse was built on Rice Lane at Walton-on-the-Hill" http://www.workhouses.org.uk/WestDerby/ 13 Lancaster Street still exists, oddly this street intersects with Rice Lane on the map!

We can only guess Edith Connor was born circa 1906 in West Derby.

Likewise I can see:

Edith Connor marrying Emio C Teare 1929 in West Derby (free bdm, produced one female child 1935 registered  in Liverpool South).
and
Edith M(aude?) Connor (born 1897? West Derby) marrying (someone) surname Haley 1923 in West Derby  (produced one male child 1936 registered in Barton).

Any or none of these Ediths could be the Edith being searched for

Really we need to know the names of Connors living at number 13 Lancaster St, Walton, Liverpool between 1911 and 1930 for an educated guess of her parentage/birth date.

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 10:45 BST (UK) »
See also Liverpool & SW Lancs Forum for this enquiry:-

www.rootschat.com/links/01fbz/

Blue

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 11:06 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't worry about the spelling the registrar would have written down the name the way he thought it should be spelt. Connor and Conner are variations of the same surname. The home address for Edith might be her parents' address or she may have been in service at that address. The electoral roll from that time might help it could name her father if he was living at that address.   

Blue

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 15:26 BST (UK) »
I would want to look at the 1920 electoral roll as it is before the birth but you may want to try 1921 instead. You could contact Liverpool Record Office using the link below. Ask them if it is at all possible, as you are in Australia and can't get to the Record Office, for them to look up who was living at 13 Lancaster Street Walton on the electoral roll. They may look it up free or suggest you use their research service:-

https://liverpool.gov.uk/libraries/archives-family-history/contact-us/

Blue

Offline CarolineDuck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 23:16 BST (UK) »
thank you to all who have replied my request. I will certainly follow up on the leads you have given me and let you know what I find. Thanks again.