Author Topic: Bradley in Tobermore, County Derry  (Read 3501 times)

Offline Eve45

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bradley in Tobermore, County Derry
« on: Tuesday 19 May 15 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm researching Lizzie Bradley for her granddaughter, who remembers her well but din't know her family name until recently. Lizzie (or Elizabeth or Eliza, depending on which record you look at) married Francis James White in London in 1909. Francis James was killed in action in 1917 and Lizzie raised five children on her own. She never married again and died in 1967 in London. I've been able to find some records for Francis James and his family, but Lizzie's family is not so easy.

The 1911 census gives Lizzie's birth place as Tobmore, Derry, but I think it's likely to be Tobermore. She was born around 1886. She doesn't appear in the 1901 England census so I had a look at the 1901 census for Ireland and found Eliza Bradley, aged 14, living in Tobermore Town with her father James (named on the marriage certificate of 1909), mother Eliza, and siblings Anne and John. All were Church of Ireland and born in Derry.

The same family was still in Tobermore in 1911 minus Elizabeth, who was in London with her husband by this time. James Bradley,who was 60 in the 1901 census, is now recorded as 80 and an old age pensioner. In both censuses the form was filled out by the enumerator because the Bradleys were not literate - maybe the enumerator had to guess his age because James couldn't tell him, I don't know.

I tried some Google searches for Bradley and Tobermore but I don't know enough about the family to be able to tell which ones are relevant. I'm not in a position to subscribe to Irish websites. I do share a subscription to Ancestry but have found the civil registrations unhelpful - marriage records don't give a spouse and birth records don't have anything helpful, such as parents' names. I live in Australia and know I'm spoiled with Australian indexes...

There are many hits for the Bradley + Tobermore search - is anyone else researching the Bradleys who might be able to point me in the right direction?

Many thanks...

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Bradley in Tobermore, County Derry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 10:33 BST (UK) »
Here are links to the family in the 1901 and 1911 census returns for ease of reference:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000625008/  (1901)
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002869693/  (1911)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi There

I wouldn't worry about the age ~ many people added a few years to their age to bring them nearer to getting the pension  ;)

The 1911 Census says that they are married 30 years so you need to look for a marriage around 1880.

I'm not seeing a match to an Elizabeth though  ???

It also says that there were 4 children.

This girls is just a 'possibility' as the 4th ~

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Tobermore/Mormeal/1531339/

Tara

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 10:40 BST (UK) »
I did a search on https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/ for a James Bradley marriage between 1878 -1882 and got 13 returns registered in Magherafelt.  I then did a reverse search of these to look for an Elizabeth as the wife and found only one.  That is the marriage of James Bradley to Elizabeth Stewart on 7 April 1881.

So it is a possibility but still very speculative.  To see the full record you need to register and buy some credits.  Each record costs £2 to view.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    James Bradley married Elizabeth Stewart in Draperstown Church of Ireland on 7 Apr 1881. Draperstown is about 4 miles from Tobermore.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 12:01 BST (UK) »
I did a further search on the GRONI site for Bradley births between 1885 -1889 with mother's maiden name Stewart and found Elizabeth born 19 March 1887 and Annie born 24 October 1889, both registered in Magherafelt.

So I think this is you on the correct track.

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 12:07 BST (UK) »
A further search for Bradley/Stewart births found Mary born 31January 1882, John born 21 January 1892 and another John born 9 December 1892.

Assuming there is not another Bradley/Stewart couple, this suggests that the first John died in infancy.

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 12:15 BST (UK) »
I searched for a John Bradley infant death in 1891.  The only one I found was on 4 February 1891 but it was registered in Lisburn, so I'm unsure if this is the one referred to above.

Offline Eve45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 00:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much! I turned on the computer this morning to find all your lovely replies - great start to the day.

Lizzie's granddaughter was quite close to her and she remembers Lizzie saying that her father was a farmer and that Lizzie herself could only write her name, all of which fits with the census entries for James and Elizabeth and family.

Glensman, I will bite the bullet and get a copy of the marriage certificate, now that I know how to get at it - thank you all again for your help, it's much appreciated. Big hugs!