Author Topic: Roberts Family - St George the Martyr Southwark (& possibly surrounds)  (Read 4351 times)

Offline kbennett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi there

I am trying to trace my elusive ROBERTS family in the mid to late 1700s into the early 1800s in and around the area of St George the Martyr, Southwark.

I have Thomas ROBERTS born 1750 (possibly to a William and Elizabeth ROBERTS at St George the Martyr), and died 1839 in Buckingham Square, New Kent Road. He married first to an Ann UNKNOWN - they had a daughter Mary in 1792 (& possibly a son too) but am having trouble finding the marriage of Thomas and Ann.

Ann then died (possibly in 1830) and Thomas remarried an Elizabeth. Elizabeth remarried in 1842 after Thomas died in 1839, and the banns record for this has her father as Stephen RADFORD, but cannot find a record of her marriage to Thomas.

Thomas & Ann's daughter Mary (possibly Mary Ann) married Nathaniel CLARK in 1820, had my 3 x gt gf Henry Roberts CLARK in 1821 and a daughter Mary Ann Sarah CLARK in 1823 - but Mary CLARK nee ROBERTS was dead by the time her father wrote his will in 1838. I would dearly love to find her death, along with what happened to her daughter Mary Ann Sarah CLARK born 1823.

Would dearly love any help or suggestions as to where to look :)

Thanks,
Kat
Bennett (NZ/Aust), Corner, Baker, Reveley (all Yorkshire), Barker (Durham), Meyrick (Radnorshire/Herefordshire & London), Cawston, Clark, Coulsell (Surrey), Berridge, Dixon, Redpath, Duke, Dailey, Davis, Lawrence, Martin.

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Roberts Family - St George the Martyr Southwark (& possibly surrounds)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 13:22 BST (UK) »
There's a marriage in the England Marriages: -

Elizabeth Radford to Thomas Roberts 09/11/1832 in Bristol.
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline kbennett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 13:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you!
I had come across that marriage but with no connections to Bristol whatsoever had put it to the back of my mind (although the date is in the right sort of timeframe)  :)
Bennett (NZ/Aust), Corner, Baker, Reveley (all Yorkshire), Barker (Durham), Meyrick (Radnorshire/Herefordshire & London), Cawston, Clark, Coulsell (Surrey), Berridge, Dixon, Redpath, Duke, Dailey, Davis, Lawrence, Martin.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 10:43 BST (UK) »
Any chance Nathaniel married again? **

Looking for Mary Ann Sarah came across a baptism in 1827 for a Mary Ann Clark father Nathaniel mother Isabella Mather Clark

Just wondering if the first Mary Ann died young but could be a different family of course.

** no that's not the same person, that couple married c1812.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 10:47 BST (UK) »
There's a Mary Ann Clark burial 17 Nov 1828 age 5 in Southwark.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline kbennett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 12:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you! I believe I have found Henry Roberts CLARK and his sister Mary Ann Sarah CLARK in the 1841 census (although the information is too vague to be absolutely certain).

1841 census - St Mary Newington - At I believe "Rodney Place" or similar.

Henry CLARK listed as born 1817 - recorded as a printer
Mary CLARK listed as born 1819
Both living at house of a William HAZELL born 1797 & Mary HAZELL born 1804.

We know from later records that Henry Roberts CLARK became a signwriter and grainer but not sure if he would have started as a printer on that basis....

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 13:17 BST (UK) »
possible marriage in 1854 Acton Middlesex

Mary Clark father Nathaniel Clark wheelwright
to Job Bandall - could be Randall

Both of full age so that doesn't help  :-\

Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline kbennett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 May 15 02:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you! Will definitely look into that. We have Nathaniel as a Saddler, so am thinking it may not be ours, but worth looking at further :)

Offline blev

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 October 15 13:26 BST (UK) »
I think the Ann you are looking for may be Ann Rumell/Rummell who married Thomas Roberts in 1784 (probably after the birth of Thomas Rumell Feb 1784) which would explain why he doesn't have his father's name) with a Faculty Office Marriage Licence. This allows a discrete marriage with no publicity. I don't know if she married Thomas's master as there are several Thames watermen called Thomas Roberts. The most likely candidate is Thomas Roberts born about 1763 (could be older), apprentice waterman from 1778, master Roberts at Rothehithe. I've seen a copy of the will of Thomas Roberts who died 1789. He was based in Rotherhithe and owned boats. He had five children including a son Thomas Roberts. For more info see my site
https://sites.google.com/site/rummellfamily/