Author Topic: Identifying a skeleton!!! Dr Inch from Drayton near Toowoomba Qld about 1861?  (Read 16196 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying a skeleton!!! Dr Inch from Drayton near Toowoomba Qld about 1861?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 21 May 15 08:58 BST (UK) »
Just to make things interesting, another death in 1873 and more documents  ;D

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/28410112

Not your George though because four years later he was charged with neglecting to support his illegitimate children at Banana.  Then again, perhaps he wasn't paying because he was deceased.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/65768141

Debra  :)

" Remanded at his own request until the following day"  :)  from the July 1877 cutting  :-X

Cheers,  JM  :)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying a skeleton!!! Dr Inch from Drayton near Toowoomba Qld about 1861?
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 21 May 15 09:11 BST (UK) »

" Remanded at his own request until the following day"  :)  from the July 1877 cutting  :-X

Cheers,  JM  :)

8) 8) ::)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 21 May 15 09:38 BST (UK) »
And we can rule out Dr John Inches RN (brother of Dr Charles Inches RN)
he died at Maitland (so he isn't the skeleton)
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/135252704?searchTerm=%22John%20inches%22&searchLimits=
 and left issue
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/126397119?searchTerm=%22Dr%20John%20Inches%22&searchLimits=

Did he have any sons that were doctors?
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 21 May 15 09:43 BST (UK) »
This is a fascinating thread - hope you super sleuths manage to identify that skeleton  :)
Keddie, Hutson - Scottish Borders and Edinburgh
Menzies, Montague - Penicuik and Castle Douglas
McEvoy, Cavanagh - Ireland

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 21 May 15 09:57 BST (UK) »
But wait there is more .....
In google books (needs to be proven with census data, bdms)

There are notices of a Dr Charles Inches marrying Sophia Peake daughter of John Peake Esq at Kensington in 9 August 1832

son 1833 at Earl's Terrace, Kensington, England
a son 1835 at Bingham Town, Gosport, England
son 7th May 1837 (Dr Inches sailed for Australia this year and Mrs Inches died this year at Portsea, England)

https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=6YwEAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA448&lpg=PA448&dq=%22Dr+Charles+Inches+RN+%22&source=bl&ots=L9kscj1dFU&sig=lePyv_c5UpbRHQ85PKotnI0D52Y&hl=en&sa=X&ei=B6hdVZ2RMYilmQXX6IDgBA&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=%22Dr%20Charles%20Inches%20RN%20%22&f=false

Could his sons have come to Australia and were any of them doctors?
I've got a feeling this could be a long thread.
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 21 May 15 09:58 BST (UK) »
Is that Kensington NSW Australia for that 1932 marriage?

It could well be a long thread, but it will be interesting  ;D
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 21 May 15 10:26 BST (UK) »
Wow!  For someone who had never heard of the Inche family until 2 days ago I have certainly been educated in how to do research.  I am assuming the marriage of Charles and Sophia was 1832 and a slip of the fingers.  It would also have taken place in Kensington, London, as this is where the children were born.   

Charles has had one son (George Sydney) who came to Australia obviously, plus a brother also a doctor on convict ships.   It is possible that the brother also had a son named George Sydney so I will have to check on that.  It is also possible that more siblings, possibly a daughter, have come to Australia.  More investigation needed.  Things are moving so fast I am having trouble keeping up, I really need to do a bit of housework and cook a few meals between posts.

None of the sons born in Banana were doctors but one of them at least was extremely well educated in another field.  I think the family is finding out more than they ever wanted to know about their rather disreputable ancestor.  I find it hard to equate George Inch with the description given of a highly educated English gentlemen but then again maybe this is what heavy drinking does.

Seems like material for a very interesting family history book, no need to invent the drama.

John Cramp did indeed own the block of land in Drayton where his daughter was living with George Inch.  It was eventually advertised for lease in the Darling Downs Gazette for lack of payment of rates in 1895 and it was this advertisement that started the whole story.

To add a bit more drama to the story Mrs. Cramp and Walter Bennett Jnr. were drowned in Newcastle Harbour on the wreck of the Cawarra.  They had been travelling to Brisbane or Rockhampton to join their husband and mother/daughter Marianne Cramp/Bennett/Inch.  The little boy was 6 years old and seemingly the only true Bennett son in the whole saga.  He was strapped to the body of his grandmother as the ship went down.

Annie
Allwood-Birmingham-Australia
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Dewsbury-Sutton Bonnington, Notts
Wood-Leeds/Huddersfield, Yorks
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 21 May 15 10:48 BST (UK) »
Whoops, I changed that post a bit and added the link to the book, where some of the information shows up.

Yes, Kensington, England and 1832. I was distracted by tv.

So sad about the Bennet boy, dangerous times, spiders/snakes/shipwrecks!

Here is another reference to Dr Charles Inches 1851 Death
At the residence of his nephew (Mr James I Robertson), 1 Royal Crescent, Glasgow, on the 22d instant, Dr. Charles Inches, RN.
http://www.happyhaggis.co.uk/1851nov.htm

Which matches a previously posted link on this thread but adds a nephew
http://www.jenwilletts.com/surgeon_superintendents_-_i.htm

Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)