Author Topic: Fry/Frye Family  (Read 5016 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fry/Frye Family
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 February 16 15:20 GMT (UK) »
If you have any ancestors from North Somerset, you could also try this website?
http://www.portbury-hundred.co.uk/

Parish Register transcriptions from many churches in the North of Somerset.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline vfrye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 May 16 04:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Vanessa (vfrye): Since your posting almost a year ago, how much luck did you have trying to cut through all the confusion with our Frye/Fry ancestors? Believe me! I could relate to your frustration :o! The problem stems from getting facts and dates mixed up for the father/son team of Adrian Sr. and Adrian Jr. and both getting "morphed" into one Adrian. Here are some basics which I hope will help   

Adrian Sr. was born circa 1604 and married Margaret Bryant in 1623. She died circa 1643 before the family came to Maine circa 1660. Some sources say he married Hannah White (daughter of John White). That can be ruled since Hannah married Robert Allen. Adrian Sr. did NOT marry Sarah White (Hannah's sister). It's very likely Adrian Sr. never remarried after Margaret's death. Adrian Sr. died in 1695 at age 91.

Adrian Jr. was born circa 1640 (1635 also given). He married Sarah White (born circa 1642) in 1664. I descend from their son William (m. Hannah Hill). Although Adrian Jr. wrote his will in 1692 leaving everything to William for taking care of him and Sarah, his death was closer to 1709 and not 1692 or 1695 as given by many sources.

Over the past 15+ years I've been working on my family history (still a work in progress), I've dealt with unbelievable sloppy misinformation running rampant through ancestry.com and LDS websites. The way the Frye/Fry has been (and still is) handled is the worst by far in my family history.

Enough of my ranting. I'd like to hear how far you've come. If you have any question, I'll be glad to give it my best shot.

Mary

Hi Mary,

I have been researching about my Fry family everytime I could since that post. There is still things to discover! I don't really follow what I find on internet - and people may disagree with me but I prefer backing my information with documents (I found many!).
I'd love to communicate with you if you are willing to do so. It is always amazing to find someone related - and you are descending from another member of the family, which is great.
FRYE from Somerset, Maine, Canada
RAYMOND from Meuse, France
PERRON, SUIRE from La Rochelle, France
BEAUPRÉ from France

Offline vfrye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 May 16 04:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Venessa

Try typing Ian Sage into Google & when you get to his home page click on parish registers as that will give you links to all the free parish register transcripts that he has found for Somerset

All the very best

Phil
Thank you so much, Phil. I'm gonna take a look on it !
BEAUPRÉ from France

Offline vfrye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 May 16 04:41 BST (UK) »
If you have any ancestors from North Somerset, you could also try this website?
http://www.portbury-hundred.co.uk/

Parish Register transcriptions from many churches in the North of Somerset.
Thank you KGarrad, I will also research on that website.  :)
BEAUPRÉ from France

Offline smallgen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 May 16 03:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Vanessa!
Sure! It will be great to keep communications going especially when it comes to picking through all the errors and getting the Frye ancestry on track! 

First, I'd like to make a correction of a "word omission" from my first posting: "Some sources say [Adrian Sr.] married Hannah White (daughter of John White). That can be ruled OUT since Hannah married Robert Allen." That makes a little more sense!

I couldn't agree with you more about getting documentation! The Frye Family connection to my Getchell ancestry was a recent find. All I had to start with was "Alice (daughter of John Frye & Elizabeth) b. 31 Jan 1714; pub (m.) to Samuel Getchell 19 March 1736-7" (Sources: Frye Genealogy: Adrian of Maine... and Old Kittery & Her Families - Stackpole). Problem is (1) neither source listed any children of Alice and Samuel and (2) Getchell family researchers named "Abigail" as the wife of this Samuel but also listed their children! Where is documentation when I need it ???

Are you descended from Joseph who was taken captive in 1695 and taken to Canada?

Mary