Author Topic: Aldgyth de Northumberland, 1038-1088  (Read 6613 times)

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Aldgyth de Northumberland, 1038-1088
« on: Wednesday 20 May 15 20:42 BST (UK) »

Can anybody help?
I have been e-mailed the following information as being a statement of fact.

Aldgyth de Northumberland was born in 1038, at birth place, to Aldred Earl of Northumbria and Aelfgiva Elgiva of England.
Aldred was born in 1009, in Northumberland, England.
Aelfgiva was born in 1005, in Wessex, England.
Aldgyth had one sister: Elfeda wo Waltheop Siward.
Aldgyth married William Audley in 1087, at age 49.
William was born in 1067, in Heleigh Castle, Staffordshire, England.
They had one son: Adam Audley.
Aldgyth passed away in 1088, at age 50 at death place.

I am interested in the information because my surname is Audley, however I an extremely sceptical  about its/any accuracy. One point of concern is that Heighley Castle, the stated birthplace of William Audley was not built until 1226 according to http://www.madeleyvillage.co.uk/about-madeley/history/heighley-castle/ , and therefore it is unlikely that the William Audley who was born in 1067 was born in a field where Heighley Castle was built 159 years later!!

Can anybody suggest a reliable source of information about this Aldgyth of Northumberland?

Thanks in anticipation of your help

Regards
Brian Audley
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aldgyth de Northumberland, 1038-1088
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 21:53 BST (UK) »
Have you asked the person who sent you this information to quote their sources?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 22:14 BST (UK) »
Yes,
I have asked them and the reply I got was I found the information on the internet but they did not feel it was necessary to record the source. The implication being if it on the internet it must be correct!!

I have searched on Google for 'Aldgyth of Northumberland Audley' and copied the information in my original message from one of the websites that the search displayed. To try and get more information requires a subscription so I stopped. There appears to be slight variations to the data on different websites.

My aim is to try and find a reliable source of information about Aldgyth de Northumberland and then dispute the statement made to me.

Regards
Brian

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 22:18 BST (UK) »
I have looked at the information contained in the opening post and believe it to be incorrect. It does not tally with online sources (which themselves do not always agree). There is also the problem that some of the names have alternative spellings which means finding them can be difficult

I am trying to find a website (other than the ones I have already found) that I had before that may help you. I will try and post something on Thursday

Can you give the name of the website that you found as mentioned in reply #2

James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi davidft,
The website I got the information from is

http://www.myheritage.com/names/aldgyth_northumbria

I agree that it is almost certainly incorrect but how does one prove it!!
Regards
Brian

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 May 15 19:11 BST (UK) »
Not been as successful as I hoped as I could not find the website I was looking for (it may have been taken down).

However what is generally accepted is that Aelfgiva (Aelgifu) was born in 1005 (probably earlier c997), in Wessex, and was the granddaughter of Ethelred II King of England. She married Uctred of Northumbria  and their daughter Edith (Ealdgyth) married Maldred grandson of Malcom II of Scotland

http://roglo.eu/roglo?lang=en&m=D&i=1238677&v=5&t=T&bd=0&color=

The site you quoted claims that Aldred was Earl of Northumberland (and son of Uctred). However maybe his mother was not Aelfgiva Elgiva but Ecgfrida of Chester. However they did have a daughter Aldgyth

http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p163.htm#i4889

and she married Lulelph and had de Lumley children

http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p299.htm#i8980

including a William de Lumley, but this one was born at Lumley, Durham circa 1175.

The problem trying to unravel all this the difficulty with the names which have several different alternatives. When sources are not quoted it is easy to mix people up and that is what I think the author of that site has done.

Then of course as several people have mentioned on this site and elsewhere people in online trees have been known to put incorrect entries in with no sources to stop people copying their trees. Or as someone once said on a TV genealogy programme when asked what they did when they were  stuck, they replied they prayed and the answer came to them. Ah hmmm .......

Still I hope the bit I have done is a help and gives you some leads

PS - well that's one mystery solved. It seems Uctred was a busy chap and married at least three times to Ecgfrida, Sige and Ælfgifu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uhtred_the_Bold

It may help of you could find a well researched and sourced royal genealogy or peerage record for the period to further your search
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 May 15 20:34 BST (UK) »
I have a subscription to MyHeritage and have looked.

I'm not sure from that how well the information has been sourced but it does refer to information from Sir William Dugdale and other antiquarians who suggest that this family is denominated from Lumley Castle. Dugdale wrote a book entitled Monasticon Anglicanum - see https://archive.org/details/monasticonanglic00dugd - which might give further clues.

Ian
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Online DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 May 15 22:26 BST (UK) »
However what is generally accepted is that Aelfgiva (Aelgifu) was born in 1005 (probably earlier c997), in Wessex, and was the granddaughter of Ethelred II King of England. She married Uctred of Northumbria  and their daughter Edith (Ealdgyth) married Maldred grandson of Malcom II of Scotland

Not doubting the sources or the post but I couldn't help be reminded of Bernard Cornwells series of Books on Uhtred of Northumbria

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saxon_Stories

The historical setting is the big story; writing historical fiction needs a little story so the history can be the background. When he was about fifty, Cornwell met his birth father, named Oughtred, and learned the story of his own descent from the Saxons who owned Bebbanburg (now called Bamburgh Castle). Thus was born Uhtred, the protagonist of the fictional tales.[2]
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 May 15 22:34 BST (UK) »
Not doubting the sources or the post but I couldn't help be reminded of Bernard Cornwells series of Books on Uhtred of Northumbria

Yes Bernard kept popping up when I was searching. Just goes to show how easily fiction and fact (or assumed fact) can easily get mixed up   ;D ::) ;)

Thanks for the link I see they are making a TV series of Bernard's books at the moment.  :)