Author Topic: Hong Kong- Coutes  (Read 1104 times)

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hong Kong- Coutes
« on: Thursday 21 May 15 03:31 BST (UK) »
Looking for info on Catherine Coutes...born or lived in Hong Kong late 1800s or early 1900s. Spelling of last name could be wrong. Maybe Coutts...or Couts? Married to William Leyland Hunter. May also have lived in Foochow. Any ideas or help is appreciated.
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hong Kong- Coutes
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 May 15 07:45 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=707907.0

duplicate posting (to show people what you already have)

Still seeking Catherine Coutes birth date, death date and marriage date.

How about trying to get a marriage certificate for William Leyland Hunter and Catherine Coutes from Hong Kong.

" You will find a link to the HK Government web page on the subject listed to the right under Genealogical Repositories.  This details the types of search which can be made, together with costs of both search and certified copies.  If you know the date of the birth or death then the overall cost will be somewhere in the region of £25.  For a search of the marriage registers and a certified copy of the certificate the cost will approximately £36.  You will then need to enter into correspondence with the Immigration Department on how to get the certificate to you because their system is set up for the “personal collection” only.  It IS possible to have it posted to you but this is not within the automated online system.  You will need to be prepared for a wait of up to 3 months for your certificate to arrive."

Do you know anyone that still lives in Hong Kong that could pick it up and mail it too you?

http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/bdmreg/applybdm.htm

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hong Kong- Coutes
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 May 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
Sorry about the RE-posting of info! Honestly I've tried so many sites that I've forgotten some and I didn't realize that I'd already put up so much info. Finding out info from the war years in Hong Kong and Shanghai is getting to be very difficult unless you have someone there who can go look things up.
I did use the "Carl Smith Collection" at Hong Kong PRO once when I had a relative there to go over and pay the fees and they did e-mail me the results but they are just copies of index cards like at a library. I don't know how one would go further. Paying for searches when you are not sure if there is anything even there, can get expensive. Each name and spelling would be a separate search.
I've done best by what I've learned from other people's trees or info. I did get a list of "Index to Consular Deaths" recently that showed British people who died within the various colonial areas. The one I had was 1955-1960 and gave Name, Age, Vol, Page# and City where death occurred.
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley